Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap Parts or help in Austin

Posted by kdkns 
RepRap Parts or help in Austin
April 21, 2011 10:46PM
Hi, I'm looking for any help on building a reprap machine in Austin. I've been browsing the wiki, youTube videos, and articles and have a lot of confusion on what is the best route to go.

I was originally thinking of building a mendel since it was supposedly cheaper now, around $4-500 to build and was a standard format to get help or upgrade later. Now after more reading it looks like the Prusa Mendel might be easier to build and also reduce the cost. I believe the Prusa is supposed to be more accurate and easier to calibrate as well and produce better quality prints. Possibly due to the simpler constructions and less pitfalls in precision.

If there is anyone in Austin that could help me get started or direct me in someway? I would appreciate it. If I could get the parts printed from someone locally I would like that if I could. Right now it looks like I may have to buy a MakerGear Prusa Kit just to make sure I can get all the parts needed, though I'd prefer the lower cost of getting the parts myself. I'm not sure how people are making them for $500 as all the suppliers I found for parts and electronics can be over $300-400.

Thank you for any help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login