Canada, Fraser Valley B.C. RUG  :  Reprap Forum The fastest message board... ever.

New Open Source (non-profit) file sharing website
Posted by: Sublime ()
Date: November 29, 2011 05:53PM

I have been working on a new file sharing website for the RepRap community and will be looking for help with the backend of the site.

I have created the main art work and registered the Domain name.

The idea is to use Github as file server to allow collaborations to take place at a much faster rate then currently.

The entire site will be as opensource as possible taking input from everyone that is willing to give it.

If anyone is interested in contributing please let me know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2011 05:54PM by Sublime.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver

Attachments: Tangible_bytes_112.png (375.8 KB)  
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Open Source (non-profit) file sharing website
Posted by: Enrique ()
Date: December 01, 2011 07:39PM

I'd like to join. However, I have nothing against profit. I do want a coop, where all developers/employees decide on what we do, but we can still make money.

For web development I can do javascript and svg:
[members.axion.net]

If we ever need to buy web hosting, I would be willing to buy hosting with bitcoins.

Date: December 02, 2011 05:08PM

I have to say the reason I participate in the world of RepRap is because of its power to remove profit from the way the world works while still making us all wealthy. http://reprap.org/wiki/Wealth_Without_Money

The concept is to provide free space on the community resource page to anyone/company participating in open source. To be clear I mean anyone who provides opensource hardware or software files to the community will be able to add themselves to the Suppliers section of the community resource page. The reason for this is to LOWER the costs of parts and supplies. If we charge the companies for AD space they just charge it back to the community and we ALL lose in the long run.

As for costs of hosting. The file hosting like I said would be done through GIThub on their free plan for public repo's. You will be able to use your own GIThub account and simply provide a link to the GIT page and it will sort the data appropriately as long as it has a Readme.txt and some other files available for download. I was also thinking of creating a GIThub account under the site name to upload items for people who do not wish to get there own GIThub account.

The site hosting itself (other than repos) I was willing to pay for out of pocket because it's a low price to pay to be freed from AD's. (the sites I use the most and like the most on the web are all free of ads: Craigslist, RepRap Forums, GIThub, etc.)

I have no issue with using Bit-coins as a way to fund the website or even to have a Donation button so people can willingly fund the site.

I am making the site so we have a choice other than the COMMERCIAL sites available now. I see no reason to perpetuate the current system. But rather create the world I want to live in.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog

Posted by: broncosis ()
Date: January 21, 2012 01:57AM

well I have a webservers we could host it on here at my house
I know a few people that could be perswaded to help code it

Date: January 21, 2012 02:00AM

Thanks, I currently have the page templates finished and all the mouse overs coded. If you would like to discuss it more or to see what I have so far just PM me.

Date: January 22, 2012 10:25PM

well I'll make you a account on my
webserver and pm you the detail you can setup your domain there
and upload what ever you need

Date: February 11, 2012 02:12PM

ok I am hoping to have this server online by sunday night

Posted by: Adventure ()
Date: February 16, 2012 05:38PM

I was also looking at creating my own file sharing area. If you don't mind once you have this up and running, I would like to link it to my site. I would rather give you the traffic instead of Makerbot.

thefuturei3d.com

Jeff Christiana

Jeff Christiana

Posted by: =_= ()
Date: February 22, 2012 04:00PM

I'm afraid you might be breaking githubs terms by using it for file-sharing...

Date: February 22, 2012 04:08PM

Githubs entire purpose is file sharing. If you have a free account all your repo's have to be available to the public.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.