Canada, Fraser Valley B.C. RUG  :  Reprap Forum The fastest message board... ever.

how does everyone scale their print
Posted by: ECSuyu ()
Date: December 08, 2011 04:00PM

so at the last meet I had mentioned that I used the "scale" tab within skeinforge to attempt at reducing sizes of my prints...well as Brad and Wally pointed out thats more for compensation of bad E_STEPS_PER_MM in the firmware and not so much for size reduction or expansion.

So as the title of the thread, what are people using for scaling prints so they print smaller and faster.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how does everyone scale their print
Posted by: johnbiehler ()
Date: December 08, 2011 04:27PM

Replicator G. Scale then save then slice.

Although this has been my process for the MakerBot so far but I plan on using the same process with the Prusa.

I like it because the grid shows the size relative to the build platform I'm using so I have a good idea of how big the object will be and with experience, (approximately) how long it will take.

[johnbiehler.com]

Date: December 08, 2011 05:13PM

Thanks John,

I recall seeing RepG at your house as you were scaling it with ease. I might go that route but think there must be an easier alternative.

I found that openSCAD can do scaling pretty easily with the following code:

scale([ 0.5, 0.5, 0.5 ]) //X,Y,Z scale
{import_stl("G:file_name.stl", convexity = 5);}

so I might just give this a shot.

Posted by: Sublime ()
Date: December 08, 2011 06:31PM

Posted by: wallester ()
Date: December 08, 2011 11:35PM

I'm still in CAD mode so I'd just go back to the original drawing program and do it there.

Date: December 09, 2011 02:10PM

In an attempt to try and figure out how to cool my prints so I eliminate the curling I get on some small parts I totally forgot to try scaling last night. Seems RepGs GUI makes it easy to understand as opposed to doing it from openSCAD

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.