Canada, Fraser Valley B.C. RUG  :  Reprap Forum The fastest message board... ever.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Canada, Fraser Valley B.C. RUG
Posted by: ECSuyu ()
Date: October 13, 2011 02:27AM

wow ok ya i must be blind or something haha, well todays meet is over and time to plan and see if we can get more to join us for the next one. I will get my mendel fixed and printing before then!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gonzo007 ()
Date: October 13, 2011 03:34PM

I need to apologies for not making it out last night. My wife got sick and was left looking after my two boys. I will keep following this thread and try to make it out to the next get together.

Thanks

Colin

Posted by: DavidB ()
Date: October 17, 2011 04:32PM

Just joined and am looking to build a reprap. How should I get started? Is there someone locally that can print up a set of parts and mentor on the build? I have lots of ideas on where to improve upon the machine, but really just need to get one built to start and progress from there.

Thank you,
David

Posted by: johnbiehler ()
Date: October 17, 2011 04:49PM

Check out this thread for some locals (including me) with parts available:

[forums.reprap.org]

Mine are for a metric Prusa Mendel but could easily print a set for whichever version you're planning on building.

As I mention in that thread, I'm about 1/2 way through my Prusa build...but already have a MakerBot up and running for printing.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

Posted by: Sublime ()
Date: October 17, 2011 06:05PM

Hello David,

As john has mentioned there are a few sets available from him and myself currently.
Depending are where you are located I may also be available to help out.

Have you done much research? Any idea what type of machine you would like to build?

Where are your skills the strongest/weakest? Programming, Electronics, Hardware, None......

Rantenki may even be able to cut a set of wooden parts for a Makerbot/Ultimaker/Mosaic/ if that is the type of machine you would like to build.

Brad

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver

Date: October 21, 2011 11:40PM

Hey everybody,

Its about time again to plan the next meeting. The second Wednesday of November is the 9th, but it does have 5 Wednesdays this year. So should it be on the 9th or postpone it until the 16th?

Brad

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog

Date: October 24, 2011 02:07PM

Sublime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey everybody,
>
> Its about time again to plan the next meeting.
> The second Wednesday of November is the 9th, but
> it does have 5 Wednesdays this year. So should it
> be on the 9th or postpone it until the 16th?
>
> Brad

I should be able to make either day.

I just finished ordering a bunch of hardware parts for my Prusa, and most of the parts are printed now. Next will be figuring out which electronics to order and heater bed. Looking forward to getting this guy built and starting to print some parts.

Colin

Date: October 24, 2011 02:12PM

Hey Colin,

For the electronics I would recommend any of the Pololu based electronics simply because you can replace the stepper drivers easily if you burn one out.

Ramps 1.2+
Sanguinololu
Gen7

Does either day work better for you? 9th or 16th

Brad

Posted by: johnbiehler ()
Date: October 24, 2011 02:45PM

I'm good with either date but my vote is for the 9th if I had to choose.

John

Posted by: rhysjones ()
Date: October 24, 2011 03:30PM

I've just created the RUG forum. If its ok I'll move this thread over there.

Rhys

Date: October 24, 2011 03:35PM

Thank you so much Ryhsjones.

One vote for the 9th from John and I my self would like it to be sooner than later. Maybe we can just change it to every 4 weeks instead of the second Wednesday of the month?

Brad

Posted by: Enrique ()
Date: October 26, 2011 07:20PM

Hello,

I'd like to go a reprap meeting, but I don't have a car so it takes too long for me to get to the Langley Boston Pizza.

Could at least some of the meetings please be close to a Skytrain station? Any Skytrain station would do:
[www.translink.ca]

There are also a few other Vancouver reprappers who don't have a car but would like to meet.

Cheers,
Enrique

Date: October 26, 2011 11:42PM

Thanks Brad

Can someone recommend a good supplier for Electronics. I would prefer a supplier in located in Canada.

Also what 3d software do most of you guys use. I have access to Solidworks at work. But its really not possible for me to spend extra hours there drawing out parts.

Thanks for the advice

Colin

Date: October 28, 2011 05:13PM

Hello Enrique,

Sorry for the slow delay, we were discussing things through PM to try and find a way to accommodate you and anyone else wanting to attend. We have come to a few conclusions which will help yourself as well as the rest of us.

The first thing we have done is move the current meetings to the Boston Pizza in walnut grove [maps.google.ca] More info and the discussion [forums.reprap.org] and the reason it helps is because it has better access via transit.

The second thing we've done is decided to make it every two weeks. With every other meeting being at the walnut grove BP and the other being some where near a skytrain station. (not everyone from Chilliwack, Abbotsford will be able to attend) This will be discussed [forums.reprap.org]

The third option is we have had a volunteer willing to car pool you from the Skytrain station. (PM me and I will give you his number if you are interested and would like to speak to him)

Please let us know if any of this works for you.

Brad

Date: October 28, 2011 10:55PM

Hi Brad,

> Sorry for the slow delay, we were discussing
> things through PM to try and find a way to
> accommodate you and anyone else wanting to attend.
> ..

Thanks for setting all this up.

> The first thing we have done is move the current
> meetings to the Boston Pizza in walnut grove.
> ..

Sounds good, it knocks some time off the trip for me.

> The second thing we've done is decided to make it
> every two weeks. With every other meeting being at
> the walnut grove BP and the other being some where
> near a skytrain station.
> ..

That's great, I'll make most of the Skytrain meetings.

> The third option is we have had a volunteer
> willing to car pool you from the Skytrain station.
> (PM me and I will give you his number if you are
> interested and would like to speak to him)

Thanks for the offer, but the rendezvous would take more of his time than it would save me. However, if he's there at the meeting, I'd certainly appreciate a ride back to the Skytrain.

Cheers,
Enrique

Date: October 28, 2011 11:53PM

Since the meeting is at 7 pm I will be heading home first. I can pick you up at the train and drive you out to the meeting. Since I will be going by the train. Also I can give you a ride back.

Colin

Date: October 29, 2011 12:00AM

gonzo007 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Since the meeting is at 7 pm I will be heading
> home first. I can pick you up at the train and
> drive you out to the meeting. Since I will be
> going by the train. Also I can give you a ride
> back.
>
> Colin

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the offer, I'll just take the offer of the ride back. The other reason I prefer not to rendezvous is that I'm often late sad smiley

Cheers,
Enrique

Date: October 29, 2011 04:14AM

Colin to answer your question from earlier about electronics. The only shop I know of in Canada that sells any RepRap specific stuff is Mixshop.ca

For the modelling I use Blender 2.57 and 2.59.
A huge portion of the RepRap community uses OpenSCAD and [www.rapcad.org] is in its early stages but promises to be a direct to print modeller similar to OpenSCAD. But it really doesn’t matter as long as you can export an STL or GNU file.

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.