Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

8mm Hardened Steel Smooth Rod Sets

Posted by clarky 
8mm Hardened Steel Smooth Rod Sets
January 03, 2014 09:25AM
Hi everyone,

I've got 4 sets of smooth rods ready to ship. I'm asking $55 + postage per set - regular shipping within Australia is $13 and express post is $15. The specs and a picture of the rods are below. If I've missed anything, let me know smiling smiley

Specifications:
Diameter: 8mm, h6 tolerance (+0 to -9μm)
Lengths: (2 of each, all to ±1mm)
  • 320mm
  • 350mm
  • 370mm

Alloy: GCr15 (approximately equivalent to 100Cr6 and SUJ2)
Hardness: HRC62-64
Straightness: within 5μm per 100mm
Surface Roughness: < 1.5μm
Depth of Hardened Layer: >800μm

mm = millimetres
μm = micrometres
HRC = Rockwell C Hardness

Some extra info about the advantage of the rods I'm selling (vs. Stainless Rods)
These rods are superior to Stainless Steel smooth rods, due to the linear bearings used in the Prusa designs. These linear bearings contain steel balls, made of Hardened Chrome Steel (the same as the rods I'm selling, with hardness approx. HRC60). Stainless Steel rods are generally not hard enough to conduct a Rockwell C hardness test on. This big difference in hardness means that the bearings will, over a reasonably short space of time, create a groove in a Stainless Steel rod, reducing print accuracy.

If you're interested, send me a PM, post here or email me (address below). These will be listed on eBay as well, if you'd prefer to buy that way, however they'll be $60 + postage due to eBay fees.

I'm happy to answer any questions at all about the rods, again just post, PM or email me smiling smiley

Chris
chris[dot]clarky[at]gmail[dot]com
Re: 8mm Hardened Steel Smooth Rod Sets
January 15, 2014 10:53PM
New reduced price of $50 + $9 shipping Australia wide

Pick-up from SE Suburbs in Melbourne is also available.

Listed on eBay at $55 due to extra fees.
January 18, 2014 07:51PM
I'm keen to grab a set. Can you PM me your details ?
January 20, 2014 12:18AM
3 gone, get in quick before the last one goes!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login