Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing strong objects

Posted by fma 
fma
Printing strong objects
January 05, 2012 03:59AM
Hi,

I'm wondering how to tune parameters (mostly temperature and speed) to print strong objects (ABS)?

I often have problems between layers, which do not stick really well under load. I'm printing @220°C (not 250°C as I first said), perimeters @30mm/s, infill @60mm/s...

Thanks for any tips.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 06:20AM by fma.

Frédéric
Re: Printing strong objects
January 05, 2012 04:47AM
You get better adhesion with higher temperature, slower extrusion and bigger W/T. Also using a bigger nozzle and so bigger filament makes stronger parts.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
fma
January 05, 2012 05:02AM
Thanks!

How high can I increase the temperature, for ABS?

Frédéric
January 05, 2012 05:40AM
Here they says ABS starts getting dangerous at 260°C - I'm not sure if that's dangerous for you if you breathe the fumes, or dangerous for your hotend if it degrades and clog it, or both.

Edit forgot the link.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 05:41AM by DeuxVis.
January 05, 2012 06:03AM
I don't go above 255C because of the PTFE insulator. Some ABS requires higher temperatures than others, for example pp3dp use 270C and I think Stratasys 280C and reputedly it doesn't smell at all. You need a stainless steel extruder for those.

The cream coloured natural ABS I have used, for example Makerbot's bonds well at lower temperatures and smells quite bad.

The white natural ABS I get from reprapsource.com needs higher temperatures and doesn't smell as bad.

I once made an object with Makerbot type ABS where my thermistor fell off and the hot end got to somewhere between 280 and 300C. It stank the room out but the object was absolutely rock hard, and a bit brown. No way that would de-laminate! It is the strongest thing I have even made.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
fma
January 05, 2012 06:19AM
Thank you both for these informations. So, I have some space between 220°C (and not 250°C, as I said in my first post) and the maximum usable!

Frédéric
January 09, 2012 03:50PM
I use all Stainless extruders and I set the nozzle to 300C for max strength at 60mm/s. The filament through the nozzle certainly does not have time to reach that temp, though.

The increased extrusion temperature does increase how much a part wants to warp, though.

www.Fablicator.com
February 05, 2012 04:12AM
PLA is very strong, parts printed at 50% infill are able to support my weight (180lbs)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login