Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing but with issues

Posted by mxcobra 
Printing but with issues
April 09, 2012 08:56AM
I have a RepRap Prusa. With the LuLzbot hot end & wade extruder... I have everything calibrated and running well. My issue is with the filliment & extruding. It seems to start off ok.. But then it starts to "skip" or "grind"..I did tighten up the 4 bolts, and changed out the springs.. But I dont think that is my issue.

Does any one have a copy of the config.h file for the extruder settings?

Mine looks like this:
//// Calibration variables
// X, Y, Z, E steps per unit - Metric Prusa Mendel with Wade extruder:
float axis_steps_per_unit[] = {31, 31, 1500/1.25,300};

I'm running Gen6 electronics with spriter firmware...

It's acting like it could be a stepper issue. When printing it starts making the grinding type noise, if add more force by hand twisting the gears it seems to work fine. I'm only adding a little bit of force by hand..
Re: Printing but with issues
April 09, 2012 09:32AM
I should also add... Im running Pronterface with Slic3R ( with no changes in the settings )
April 09, 2012 01:37PM
April 09, 2012 01:41PM
Temp is up to 235... Hobbed bolt also looks good. I have pulled it out 3 times.

When feed in the ABS by hand, its it moves smooth & it bites nices on the bolt.

Its almost like its feeding it to fast?? Im not sure, this one has be stumped
April 09, 2012 02:40PM
Seems like it just doesn't have quiet enough torque. Have you tried increasing the stepper current?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
April 09, 2012 02:41PM
I have not tried that yet... Where would I find that setting? config.h file I would guess ?
April 09, 2012 04:09PM
on my gen 6 electronics there are 4 trimpots, 1 for each motor (X,Y,Z, and extruder) directly above the plugin for that motor (or below depending on how its oriented). They are can be turned with a small screwdriver. Clockwise turns up the current. The only thing is the more current your send the warmer the motors get. At least in my observation. Just becareful not to touch anything else on the board and cause a short with your screwdriver.

Ryan
Quality Engineer & Hobbyist
thingsandtrains.blogspot.com
April 09, 2012 04:13PM
Ryan,
I never even noticed them before.. I will Turn it up a couple of clicks and see what i get.. Whats the rule of thumb the settings?

Thanks !!
April 09, 2012 05:41PM
I was having a problem with a different axis and this is what I was told. It worked for me.

akhult

1. grab a small flathead screwdriver (tiny)
2. turn all your trimpots down (counterclockwise), don't accidentally touch the board - you could fry something!
2. send pronterface a long move command for the axis you're adjusting
3. slowly turn up the trimpot until the stepper starts to move. Add [a little more]
4. repeat for the other axes, including the extruder.

If you turn the trimpots up too much that's a problem too. It's finding the sweet spot where the steppers move but don't get too hot running them. this is a process that may take a while. You won't know if your trimpots are too high until you've got your motors running a while.

With me my layers were shifting during the print, so I had to up them a little since my motors were skipping steps. Hopefully it will do something good for your extruder smiling smiley

Ryan
Quality Engineer & Hobbyist
thingsandtrains.blogspot.com
April 09, 2012 06:44PM
That seems to have worked !! But now for some reason about 10 minutes into my print the heater turns off on the nozzle .....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login