Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Infill Problems?

Posted by cokezero91 
Infill Problems?
April 10, 2012 06:39PM
Hi All,

I have just bulit a prusa mendel, and I am using HW: Ramps 1.4, SW: Pronterface => SFACT.

I seem to be having problems with infill, as can be seen in the attached picture. (best described as mounds which don't connect together well.

E-steps has been calibrated, and infill is set to 0.35 in SFACT (default setting).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Attachments:
open | download - infill_problems.jpg (473.9 KB)
Re: Infill Problems?
April 11, 2012 03:29AM
What nozzle size and what layer height and width are you using?

It looks like you might be trying to stretch the plastic too much so it snaps. That would imply trying to make small filament with a large nozzle. Try slicing it with a bigger width setting.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
April 11, 2012 05:06PM
Nozzle Size: 0.34 mm
Layer Height: 0.25 mm
Width: 0.4mm (the one under the layer height in sfact)

What width setting would you recommend changing to?
April 11, 2012 05:48PM
They seem about right actually. Perhaps it is too hot and coming out like syrup rather than filament. That would stop is spanning gaps.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 11, 2012 04:43PM
Thought this would be useful for anyone else who was having the same problems.

Temperature was a little a hot and I found this technique to be the most useful way of determining the correct temperature: "Start by doing a simple extruder test to determine what the range of temperatures are that you can extrude at. Reduce the temperature in 5 degree increments until the extruder starts skipping when you do a manual extrude. Turn the extruder up 5 degrees and note this as your minimum extruder temperature. " (http://reprap.org/wiki/Calibration#Temperature_control)

After roughly another couple of months of getting the print quality alot better than the original picture I was still unhappy with results, and decided to bite the bullet and buy a professional hot end (as I had been using a minimal hot end).

I bought a budaschnozzle from lulzbot, and the print quality, particularly the infill is now amazing ( ).

Overall if having infill problems, check slicing settings, calibrate temperature, and seriously consider buying a professional hot end if using a minimal hot end.

Cheers
Cokezero91

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2012 04:44PM by cokezero91.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login