Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First Prints ... need advice/help ...

Posted by psilva 
First Prints ... need advice/help ...
May 07, 2013 11:02AM
Hi,

I've completed my first two test prints and it seems there is an adhesion to the bed problem. The weird thing is that it only happens on the left side of the bed as you can see on the attached photos (sorry for the crappy look, but my camera run out of batteries ... so I used the cell phone).

I used all the profile setting for the printer (Mendel-PLA-05-03) and I'm using PLA 1.75 mm.

Any idea why this happens?

Could it be uneven bed temperature? Bed leveling? To low bed temperature (55ºC)?

Anyway, I'm very pleased with printings ... it seems that after this issue is cleared, I'll have good quality prints ...
Re: First Prints ... need advice/help ...
May 07, 2013 11:06AM
Based on the skirt around the part I see 2 things of concern:
1) It looks like your Z0 height is still too high. You need to start your print closer to the bed.
2) It looks like your bed isn't level, likely a bit low on he left.

Fl0yd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2013 11:06AM by Fl0yd.
May 07, 2013 11:30AM
I agree with Fl0yd's analysis.
Level, low and slow is the ticket for the first layer.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
May 07, 2013 11:36AM
Thank you both ...

I'll re-level the bed and check the the Z0 position ... by the way, to change it I should use the screw that controls the end-stop position, right? Or it's done throw the software? (sorry for the newbie questions, but I've assembled the printer following the instructions, so if it is not mention there it's something new to me ... grinning smiley )
May 07, 2013 12:11PM
First make sure that the head on the left and right hand sides are the same distance from the bed BEFORE adusting the Z0 position!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
May 07, 2013 12:16PM
... will do ... thanks again.

I'll give the results as soon as adjusted and retested.
May 10, 2013 06:22AM
Hi guys,

The bed is leveled and the printing improved a lot.
It seems tho that my Z0 is a bit low, because when homing, the hot end pushes a lit bit the bed down, and the print's first layer seems to push the filament to the sides ...

Is this where I rotate the screw next to to the Z endstop?

I've created a small part to use as a filter for the PLA, before entering the extruder, and the "chimney" part got messed up and closed ... grinning smiley

I should increase the waiting between layers to correct this?

There is a little bobbling where the hot end changes direction when printing. Why does this happen?

The walls are not very well aligned from layer to layer.

The big cylinder part is quite round ... I like it ...

Hope you more experienced guys to give me suggestions to improve, in the mean time, I'll continue to search the forum for similar problems that other guys had.

Its not easy to configure the endless settings either on Slic3r (my part) or skeinforge (square with thin walls).

Thanks.

FiltroPLA.stl

PS. Some photos attached and the STL for the other piece is anybody needs it ... it's designed to past thro a 5 mm acrylic. The biggest part on top with some sort of sponge with a tiny hole for the PLA/ABS to pass, and then the small part attaches below the acrylic. It can be used directly (with passing anything) if required. (don't use support materiel, because it covers to much the sponge part).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login