Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

too thick walls -> is changing extrusion parameter the way to fix this?

Posted by PrintRind 
too thick walls -> is changing extrusion parameter the way to fix this?
June 04, 2013 01:20PM
Hi,

there is something that I don't quite understand. I would be grateful for some helpful comments:
(I'm printing PLA using Slic3r with a 0.5mm nozzle)

-) I've calibrated E-steps, and in general, the filling of objects seems to be quite right, apart from the fact that holes (also rectangular ones) are always a bit too small by about 0.5 mm or so.

-) So I printed the "thin wall object", which should have a wall thickness of 0.5mm. Mine came out with about 0.7mm, so I reduced the extrusion multiplier correspondingly until the wall thickness was right.
However, now all objects I print look "underfilled", with a drastically reduced layer-bonding strength. Also, the outer diameters of things tend to be too small. My conclusion is that this can't be the right settings.

Is there anything I can do to achieve both, e.g. a correct layer thickness and nice filling? I thought about messing with height/width settings, but this shouldn't affect the properties of the thin-wall object, should it?
Changing the nozzle diameter also seems to be a parameter which some people change. But making this parameter smaller does not seem to fix my problems with the holes being too small.
Re: too thick walls -> is changing extrusion parameter the way to fix this?
June 04, 2013 07:56PM
When printing the .5mm thin walled calibration object the actual wall width you are trying to achieve is the wall width listed in the gcode comments. Depending on layer height, and given you havent forced an extrusion width in slicer, slicer will calculate a single wall extrusion width based on nozzle size and layer height.

Hope this helps

GaZ
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login