Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

too much plastic

Posted by Etherflash 
too much plastic
June 19, 2012 04:40PM
Hi,
I just calibrated my printer inclding the E achsis. for 100mm the E is off by -0.1mm
But when I print my parts get too much plastic(they should get too little) this happens at the ends especially. Like you can see on the many pictures of my endstop holder.
I believe its to to the longer time t sits on corners due to the directional change.
But how can I fix my printing problems?

Reprap Prusa 0.3mm nozzle
Slic3r 0.8.3 Pronterface
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1209.JPG (246.8 KB)
open | download - IMG_1210.JPG (247.4 KB)
open | download - IMG_1212.JPG (236.5 KB)
open | download - IMG_1211.JPG (212.7 KB)
open | download - IMG_1213.JPG (220 KB)
open | download - IMG_1214.JPG (153 KB)
Re: too much plastic
June 19, 2012 05:05PM
If you print a single wall test cube, how does the measures wall width compare to the wall width that Slic3r calculates?
June 19, 2012 05:09PM
where can I see the wall thickness slic3r calculates and where do I get this single wall testcube?
Sry I'm pretty new to this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2012 05:52PM by Etherflash.
June 19, 2012 05:56PM
I use the 0.5mm single wall test from this set [www.thingiverse.com]
if you look in the comments in the GCode it reports what it computed the extrusion width to be.
If your nozzle is set to 0.5mm it'll be 0.7mm.

The other thing to verify is that the filament diameter is set correctly, actually measure the filament.
If you've upgraded from earlier versions of slic3r delete the configurations and recreate them by hand, there are known issues with it picking up now unused settings from old configuration files created with older versions.
June 19, 2012 06:08PM
Polygonhell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use the 0.5mm single wall test from this set
> [www.thingiverse.com]

Some times the slicing software will put two perimeters on objects like this.

To get an actual single wall test cube for sure you should just set your solid surfaces to 0 and infill to 0 with the perimeters set to 1 and slice a normal solid cube. This will produce a single wall gcode file.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
June 19, 2012 06:20PM
I got a .3mm nozzle
So this wont work?
I couldn't find another single wall test where the thickness is changable :-(
June 19, 2012 06:24PM
I would try as Sublime suggested.

What hotend are you running, and what layer height/speed?
June 19, 2012 06:24PM
Etherflash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I got a .3mm nozzle
> So this wont work?
> I couldn't find another single wall test where the
> thickness is changable :-(

Follow my instructions above. Parts designed to be thin do not work well as single wall test parts anyway.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
June 19, 2012 07:12PM
I'm using a nozzle from genesis mashines its a prass nozzle with nicr wire wrapped around it got a peek block to hold to screws and a PTFE heatbarrier.

There are multiple issues with my single wall test print.
I used a setting which was retracting z by .5mm and when it was getting beack down the accelleration pshed out estra plastic sad smiley So Now I fixed that.
But the wall thickness varies a lot between .38-.50
ommitting the layers which are obviously sticking out. with them it even varies till .78
June 19, 2012 07:48PM
Open the Gcode file in a text editor and look through the first little bit for "single wall thickness" and use that to compare with the measurement. Then reslice it but this time turn off all retraction and keep lowering you temperature until you can not print anymore. Then raise your temperature by 10-15 degrees and print it one more time. This is the one you should measure.

Also you may want to check that your idler is pressing really hard against the filament in the extruder. If it is not tight enough it will slip during long moves and then push lots while going slow in the corners. If it is loose you would have most likely tuned your E-steps-per-mm with it slipping so you will need to re-calibrate them.

June 26, 2012 04:09PM
Seems like your extruding too much plastic, try Calibrating your Extruder steps, will be lower than what you have, as well you can also lower the Extrusion ratio in Slic3r, which can toggle this too, but it's easier to have your firmware e-steps close to correct, then your ratio will be around 0,8-1,1 or something, instead of having to toggle it down to say 0,5 or lower maybe,

Also lower temperature too helps in all this, but looks like too many extruder steps first off.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login