Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DRV8825 Weird sounds?

Posted by Skunky 
DRV8825 Weird sounds?
April 06, 2014 12:54AM
Hello fellow reprappers.

I have a seriously weird problem.

I've just recently bought a set of DRV8825 drivers, and after installing them the X axis started to sound VERY strange when running, like some gears where broken. I would go so far to say that you can even see the X-carriage make tiny jumps.

What i have tested so far:

cables - Working
stepper - Working
driver - Working

Plugging the X-axis into Z or Y axis makes the strange sound disappear. It does NOT disappear when i change the driver with another, even if that driver is from the Y axis.
Plugging the Y axis into the X also makes the sound.

Also plugging it into the extruder channel gives the same strange sound. - But extruder sounds fine ? - maybe because it runs much slower ?

Weirdest part is that when i plug in a old Polulu A4988 the sound also disappears. - But then again, using A4988 kinda defeats the purpose of buying those DRV8825's...

Firmware has also been updated to behold the newest settings.

What should i do ? i can't think of anything more to try.

My thought is that the channel is broken, somehow ? but is that even possible ? and how could i check or even repair that, if that's the case ?

And if that is the case, how come the A4988 are working just fine ?
Re: DRV8825 Weird sounds?
April 06, 2014 01:45AM
Sounds like you have too much current. I have DRV8825's and I can tell you they're extremely touchy, current-wise. I'd mess with that a bit.
April 06, 2014 02:34AM
epicepee
Sounds like you have too much current. I have DRV8825's and I can tell you they're extremely touchy, current-wise. I'd mess with that a bit.

Done that, but i don't see how that could be the issue when the problem persists even after switching the DRV8825's around...?

also it didn't change anything. sad smiley
April 07, 2014 12:16PM
Hi, I've got similar problem with mine 8825's, apart of high pitch noise they also overheat even quicker than A4988. I am using 2.5A Nema 17 stepper motors with RAMPS 1.4 on my Prusa Mendel therefore thought that switching to DRV8825 is a great idea but the results are even worse. Anybody knows if there are any significant configuration changes that are required for 8825 or changes in firmware ( Sprinter firmware)???
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login