Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Steppers turn for a while but then vibrate

Posted by surfacelane 
Steppers turn for a while but then vibrate
July 17, 2014 10:41PM
Hello, I have been here before because my motors would only vibrate, the problem was that I had my motors connected wrong. Since then, I have checked the continuity of my steppers and rewired them. Now, my motors turn smoothly for a few seconds, but then stop and begin vibrating. Plaese help, I'm tired of my motors not turning correctlysad smiley By the way, I'm running marlin with RAMPS 1.4
A2
Re: Steppers turn for a while but then vibrate
July 18, 2014 12:20AM
read this...

Stepper wiring [www.reprap.org]
Use a LED to identify wire pairs, (3 links): [www.youtube.com] [www.youtube.com] And [forums.reprap.org]
Tips for beginners: Stepper Motors, bipolar series gets up to speed faster than parallel [www.youtube.com]
Determining what wires to pair up on a stepper motor. Match coils for 8 wire stepper. [reprap.org]

Calibration of stepper motors [www.youtube.com]
How to measure Stepper Motor Voltage [forums.reprap.org]
Tuning and Speeds – Adjusting the Machine's Axes for Maximum Speed, (Kit Supplier) [solsylva.com]
Stepper motor makes strange noises [hydraraptor.blogspot.de]

Common Questions and Answers About Step Motors [web.archive.org]
Characteristics of a stepper motor/driver [www.euclidres.com]
Engineering Reference Guide (Stepper Motors, etc.) [web.archive.org]
Control of Stepping Motors A Tutorial. THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA Department of Computer Science [homepage.cs.uiowa.edu]

Size the step motor with a 100% torque safety factor [www.automationdirect.com]
Motors that run near their rated torque will not last as long as those that do not. Motors should be chosen so that they will run at 40-60% of their torque rating. [web.archive.org]
High torque stepper motors need to run at higher voltages in order for the motor to reach its full potential. Increasing the voltage supplied to a motor increases the rate at which current rises in the windings of the motor. [web.archive.org]
Selecting a Stepping Motor [web.archive.org]
Stepper motor and driver selection [web.archive.org]
July 18, 2014 05:20AM
Sounds like stepper drivers are overheating. Did you adjust current? See [reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 18, 2014 11:46AM
Yes, I've ajusted the current on the stepper drivers to full (my motor takes two apms of current) They do get quite hot, but not as hot as they used to when I had them wired incorrectly
July 18, 2014 11:52AM
Yes, I just read the guide, it sounds like my drivers are overheating. However, whenever I don't uStep the motor, I just get a loud hum/beep. This sounds like my motor isn't getting enough power but, my current is maxed out (i am using the 57bygh430) do you think that my motor is drawing too much current fot the driver?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2014 11:52AM by surfacelane.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login