Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA stops printing after first layer

Posted by morkis 
PLA stops printing after first layer
April 08, 2015 06:19AM
I've been trying to print off a part for my 3d printer using PLA, however after the first couple of layers the extruder always stops extruding. It seems to work fine for the first layer, but after that it always has issues. the amount of plastic being extruded usually gradually gets smaller until it gets to a point where the nozzle is only passing out small little globs of plastic, and then it stops. I've checked my hotend (which is a J-head type hotend by the way), the nozzle has been thoroughly cleaned to ensure there is no material blocking it from extruding, and the heating block is at the very bottom of the hotend. The print head is printing so that on the first layer the plastic is being spread out but not too close to the printbed that the nozzle is being jammed. The settings for the heatbed are 75 degrees for the first layer and 70 for the rest of the print, and the nozzle is set to 190 degrees for the first layer and 185 for the rest of the print, and there is no tension on the spool either After it stops, i can't manually extrude any more plastic, however when i retract the spool, there are no signs of kinking or bending, and once it is reinserted it easily extrudes again.
Re: PLA stops printing after first layer
April 08, 2015 07:44AM
You might try raising the hotend temperature to 210°C.
J-Head don't usually have overheating problems!
Do you have a fan?

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 08, 2015 11:29AM
keep temperature at 190-195. do you have a fan cooling the hotend peek or aluminum body?
April 08, 2015 12:59PM
I am wondering if you are overheating the hotend, causing the PLA to expand and cause the blockage.

Do you need the heated bed? I am printing on glass right now with a glue stick and last night I had to stick the bed in freezer to remove a print because it was so stuck. If you can't try a print without the heated bed, perhaps try cooling it down a few degrees. Something between 40-60 degrees max.

You might also consider adding a fan to the PEEK body on the hotend, though I am not sure how much it will help. Definitely a good idea for an all-metal body.
April 08, 2015 07:33PM
No I don't currently have a fan installed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login