Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First layer failing!

Posted by pikelo 
First layer failing!
July 23, 2012 04:17PM
Hello,

Well, I tell you a weird and unexpected situation. After a few months printing without any kind of problem, and getting greats stuffs, suddenly, I start a printing and at the half of the first layer printing, it stops to extrude out the filament and the hobbed bolt start digging the filament..

I have unassemble the hot end around 8-10 times and cleaned it very very well all the parts one by one and assemble it again with the same result. I also tried to print with other material and same problem, at the half of the first layer printing stops go out the filament and the filament digging begin.

Any idea about what could be happening?

Hotend V10 from mendel-parts. The filament spool is same that I was using previously and also I have tried with different spools and same problem.

Thank you very much in advance.
Re: First layer failing!
July 25, 2012 01:51PM
something i found out that my endstop for the Z axis was moved down after a while, thus printing first layer at rediculess low layerthickness.
so it extruded in air perfectly tho on the bed i couldnt get any layer to stick. or only half

if you are to close to the bed the extruding force will get to high and your extruder will pump in more filament as you can print therefor blocking the extruder and stripping your filament.

thats why it does probably the same with all other materials....
July 29, 2012 01:35PM
The 1st layer height and width should be very similar if not the same as with other layer (unless you have tuned otherwise)
So if you see the line being over flat and wide, and thin, or so thin that it's almost transparent - stop immediately, the Z is a few 0.1 mm too low.

Otherwise what Weedz said would happen. The extruder would need much higher pressure to grip the filament out when it's so slow, eventual it fails and slips.
July 29, 2012 01:36PM
The first layer height and width should be very similar, if not the same as with other layer, unless you have tuned otherwise.
So if you see the line being over flat and wide, and thin, or so thin that it's almost transparent - stop immediately, the Z is a few 0.1 mm too low.

Otherwise what Weedz said would happen. The extruder would need much higher pressure to grip the filament out when it's so slow, eventual it fails and slips.
August 11, 2012 04:48PM
Are you using ABS or PLA?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login