Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Support material under extrusion

Posted by aFrazatto 
Support material under extrusion
October 15, 2015 05:39PM
For some time now I'm having this problem, my extruder is precisely calibrated, it's just right for any print I make! Except when I need support D:

Ok, I should just increase the settings a little bit, but this just ruins small delicate prints.
But as it is, the first support layer is too tine, does not stick to the plate. The other layers get so under extruded that there is no material deposited at all on some places. And in tree or four layers everything start dancing around stuck at the hotend nozzle.

Any guesses?
I'm using Marlin and Slic3r on a homemade Prusa i3.
Re: Support material under extrusion
October 18, 2015 04:36AM
Slow down the first layer speed or use a raft. Slic3r support structures uses too small areas that can get loose or fall over easily. I sometimes design support structures into the object, which can improve the print quality, time and reduce wasted filament.
Re: Support material under extrusion
October 19, 2015 08:11AM
I did tried raft on one occasion. The result was so disastrous that I never looked to that option again grinning smiley
My problem is really with under extrusion, I feel it would work out ok if I could just tweak the volume for support material only.

I saw some models with "built in" supports, but I have no idea how to do it. How to tell on OpenSCAD the amount of extrusion for a part of the model?
The idea is to minimize the amount of material, right?!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login