Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extrusion Calibration

Posted by SteveKing84 
Extrusion Calibration
January 12, 2016 11:52AM
I'm following the RepRap 101 video on setting the extrustion multiplier in slic3r. But when measuring should I be comparing my measurements to "external perimeter extrusion width" or "perimeters extrusion width"? They are two different values in my gcode, being 0.40 and 0.48mm respectively.

video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnjE5udkNEA
Re: Extrusion Calibration
January 12, 2016 01:36PM
The information in the video originally comes from [github.com]
There it says to look at the setting for "Perimeters".

To be sure of what you are getting you can also do the following: in Printer Settings, Advanced - just set both Perimeters and External perimeters to the value you want to use.

Note that Slic3r generates "sane" extrusion widths that are >= nozzle diameter * 1.05 and < nozzle diameter * 1.7.
For a .40mm nozzle that would be between .42 and .68 mm extrusion width.

A good extrusion width to test with for a .40 nozzle is 0.50mm, at 0.20mm layer height. This will have good layer bonding.

If you are calibrating for the first time, you could set all your extrusion widths to the same value, and all your speeds to the one conservative speed (say between 20 and 40 mm/sec). There are lots of reasons for this - like consistent nozzle pressure. Increase them later after you get it printing properly.

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login