Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nozzle dripping when hot but not printing - is this normal? (Prusa i3 Mendel Kit - Hictop 3DP11)

If I have my nozzle set to even as low as 180ºC, PLA keeps dripping from the Nozzle when I'm not printing. I'm a noob to 3D printing but I don't recall this much dripping when I first got this printer weeks ago. Is this normal? Is there a way to prevent this? There were several instances when first setting up the printer where it essentially engraved a shape on my metal heated bed, so I'm wondering if the nozzle has been damaged (hole enlarged)? Is there a way to check? Any help is much appreciated.
Yes, that is normal oozing and especially noticable wit PLA, PETG and many flexible filaments.
You can minimize it by retracting the filament slightly, but ultimately you need to cool it to stop it from oozing before the nozzle is empty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2016 04:01PM by Srek.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
You can check your nozzle by extruding filament in free air.
When the plastic curls around the nozzle instead of build a straight string, your nozzle is probably deformed or clogged.
The nozzle should be clean outside before you do this test, otherwise the plastic sticks to the remains of former printjobs.
-Olaf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login