Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need advice, motors stuttering on Marlin delta printer...

Posted by shama 
Need advice, motors stuttering on Marlin delta printer...
February 10, 2016 08:53AM
Hello! I'm looking for some advice about troubleshooting my printer. I found several posts on RepRap forums before that have helped me so I figure I'd ask you guys. I've got a Kossel delta printer that was a DIY from Folgertech that I built last year. It runs off an Arduino Mega and RAMPS 1.3, connected to my computer using Printrun (which is an Alienware, so I know its more than suitable to run the printer). Aside from some usual start-up and calibration issues when I first built it, its been running pretty well - until the last couple weeks. Lately its been stuttering a bit while printing, and I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why. What's worse is it seems to be getting more frequent every day I print, and I'm afraid it'll get so bad that I won't be able to get any good prints before long. What happens is about every 2 or 3 seconds, all the motors stutter - they sort of pause for just a split second - and then keep moving. It doesn't skip any moves, and it doesn't move wrong or out of place. But it does tend to leave a small blob wherever it skipped, due to the pressure forcing a little material out. It's strange in that every stepper motor skips together, at the same time - X, Y, Z, and the extruder as well. I thought it could just be due to the curves in the design, but it skips even when printing a calibration cube. I read a suggestion that it could be driver voltages, so I checked mine and they're all just below the suggested rate. The baudrate is set at 250k, so I'm fairly sure it's not a data issue. I'm not sure if it could be a buffer issue, since I don't really know if there's any way to actually see what's in the buffer. I do have a couple LCD controllers but they aren't hooked up right now, since I haven't been able to get the encoder knobs to work properly, no matter how many times I check the pin configuration. (They're cheap controllers, so it could just be bad encoders.) Overheating shouldn't be an issue, since my electronics are dropped away from the bed, and the skipping starts right from the start of a print so I'm pretty sure the steppers aren't overheating. To me, it seems like it could be the power supply failing or possibly my Arduino starting to fail. I was hoping to get some suggestions on anything I may have missed before I run out and start replacing parts. Any advice on what to look for would be greatly appreciated!
Re: Need advice, motors stuttering on Marlin delta printer...
February 10, 2016 12:19PM
I don't read worms without any formatting as it is too exhausting.
February 10, 2016 03:03PM
Is it stuttering or just completely pausing? If it is pausing, it sounds to me like a bad USB port. You could try a different USB cord or just try to print from an SD card rather than via USB.
February 11, 2016 10:11AM
Thanks Kurzaa, it's possible the cord could be bad. I don't have an extra so I'll try getting my SD controller working and give that a shot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login