Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Simple question on using .5mm nozzle

Posted by WalkerMaker 
Simple question on using .5mm nozzle
March 30, 2016 12:48PM
Recently switched to a .5mm nozzle and did a slew of test prints that came out fine. However, I plugged in a 12 hour print for some parts I designed and when I checked back in a couple hours, I heard a click/pop from my extruder motor. Two hours later, I was greeted by a failure. Basically it had jammed up after 4 hours.

So, I was wondering. What are the optimum layer heights of a .5mm nozzle? If anyone has experience with a .5mm nozzle (Im also using an e3d-v6 universal due to a bowden setup) I would like to know your thoughts and what setting you use.

Also, I'm fairly certain this wasn't due to temperature as I'm printing PLA at 190C. I was printing at .25mm layer height with Slic3r.
Re: Simple question on using .5mm nozzle
March 30, 2016 01:40PM
What nozzle size did you use before? 0.5 is rather large and usualy the larger a nozzle the fewer problems they give you, except if you try to increase speed to much. Keep in mind that a larger nozzle means that more material per extruded length is pushed through and the factor is not linear proportional to the diameter but nearly squared.
So while it needs less force to push the same amount of material through a 0.5 nozzle than through a 0.4 or 0.3, to maintain printing speed you have to push a lot more material through.
As for layer heights, i successfully printed everything from 0.1mm to 0.6 mm with an 0.5 nozzle, though the best quality should be in the 0.3-0.4 range.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
March 30, 2016 01:45PM
WalkerMaker
Also, I'm fairly certain this wasn't due to temperature as I'm printing PLA at 190C. I was printing at .25mm layer height with Slic3r.

did you dry the filament before you use it ? check this out in case you get more clogs.

Delta Printer
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
March 31, 2016 07:49AM
No, I hadn't tried drying out the PLA.

Do you know how to do that? What about ABS?
March 31, 2016 07:50AM
Thanks for the input. I raised my layer height to .35

I was using a .4mm nozzle before. I wanted to see how much faster I could go with a .5mm. I also recently just experimented with a .3mm nozzle.
March 31, 2016 07:57AM
in my case i put the filament for an hour or more at 50c in the oven . that is more than enough for me and that did solved all the problems i had with clogs. i could put it in a higher temp but i dont want to as we use that oven for our food too.

Delta Printer
Duet 0.8.5 firmware 1.19
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login