Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder not extruding

Posted by Jesse D 
Extruder not extruding
May 14, 2016 10:36PM
Ok, so when I first built this, I had an issue with the Z axis going up instead of down. Fixed that.

Got excited when it started printing something. It got about 3/4 of the way through the first layer, and now I can't get anything to extrude. I'm looking, and apparently the person I'm building it for bought TPE filament instead of PLA or ABS. Could that be what's causing my issue?

On top of not extruding, I can't pull the filament out of the extruder anymore. I've used considerable force too. I disassembled the extruder, removed the clog, and rebuilt it. It printed about 2 inches of plastic, and jammed again.

I'm seriously suspecting the TPE right now.

Any thoughts?
Re: Extruder not extruding
May 15, 2016 06:18AM
No clue...
But if your extruder is not designed for that stuff than it will certainly struggle.
Try with normal filament and if working tell the guy to invest in a proper extruder and hotend for complicated (flex) filaments.
May 15, 2016 07:56AM
Agreed, TPE is quite challenging smiling smiley

The hotend needs to be highly polished, the filament path has to be well supported and as short as possible between gear and throat, and the print speeds need to be s l o w.

I wouldn't even think about starting a new printer build with TPE, it's something to work up to.
May 15, 2016 08:35AM
Sounds like I may be correct in my assessment of the filament causing my clogs. I will have the guy buy me some ABS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login