Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

kisslicer guidelines for shell width/layer height

Posted by friarfish 
kisslicer guidelines for shell width/layer height
April 30, 2016 03:29AM
Hi folks,
I remember seeing somewhere that there are recommendations for choosing
layer height/ shell width based the nozzle size being used, but I can't remember where
I say them.

All I remember is, I think, shell width = 1.6 * layer height?

Can anyone please fill in the missing info?

Many thanks,
Re: kisslicer guidelines for shell width/layer height
April 30, 2016 05:57PM
Remember only this:

Your slicer will only print even number lines in the shell wall or perimeter (to many names for the same thing). So always calculate your wall thickness based on your nozzle width and number of lines you want to use to create the wall.

For a 0.4 nozzle, it will extrude a 0.46 line. So if you want 4 lines for the wall your number is 0.46X4= 1.84, if you use 2mm it will have gaps in between the lines and your printed part will be weak or will fail while printing.

Hope it helps
April 30, 2016 06:02PM
As for the other part of the question, always use la layer height smaller than the nozzle, for 0.5 nozzle you can use from 0.1 to 0.4 for 0.4 nozzle 0.1 to 0.3, etc. Deduct 0.1 from nozzle size to determinate the maximum layer height acceptable.
May 01, 2016 03:40PM
80% nozzle size for max layer thickness. You can get a 0.2mm layer with a 0.25mm nozzle, but you're not going to get a 1.4mm layer with a 1.5mm nozzle, 1.2mm layer at 80%. (just got a 1.5mm nozzle with the new Pico hot end design I am beta testing)
May 18, 2016 09:56AM
Hey all,
thanks for the info. It has simplified it a bit. But I guess max shell/wall width would be
less 2xNozzle?

Thanks again
May 18, 2016 11:28AM
Your printed part shell or wall can be as thick as you want, I use Simplify3d for slicing and usually a 3 perimeter shell is plenty for a solid piece.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login