Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Power supply and motor driving for RAMPS 3d printer controller

Posted by mitch25 
Power supply and motor driving for RAMPS 3d printer controller
August 07, 2016 03:54AM
Hi,
I want to buy a RAMPS 1.4 controller board for my arduino mega.
First, I saw that there are 2 inputs for power. one is for 5 amps and the other is for 11 amps. Now, my 12v @ 15 amps power supply has 2 output ports each giving out 15 amps. how would I attach my power supply to the RAMPS board. will anything bad happen if I attach 12v @ 15a to both the ports of the RAMPS input? If this will work I think it will be a
good option (if nothing will happen) because I think my load uses more than 5amps. How would I wire this up?
I already have 4 drivers (not pololu ones) for my steppers which control step and direction and power up the motors (not through RAMPS). I want to make use of what I have so is there any way I can use my drivers with the RAMPS board?
Thank you for your time and help.
Cheers, Mitch.
Re: Power supply and motor driving for RAMPS 3d printer controller
August 07, 2016 11:23AM
Hello,
1. The two ports on the ramps board are actually both 12v; one of those rails is for the steppers and the hotend (5A) while the other input is for the heated bed power (11A).
2. What Stepper Drivers are you using? A link to the product page would be most useful, several pictures would be a close second. You can typically add external stepper drivers to ramps it will just take a little extra skill and patience.
August 08, 2016 02:34AM
Hi,
the stepper drivers I'm using are the L298N. Then I used the L297 to control the step and direction of the motors.
The 4 steppers I have are powered up not through the RAMPS board but through the L298n drivers. that means When I connect the drivers to the RAMPS, I dont need to worry about power for the motors. All I need to understand is how I can wire only the drivers to the RAMPS board so that I only get the step and direction signals from RAMPS. Power for the motors is already taken care of like I said. Please tell me how and where to wire the drivers to RAMPS.
Thanks a lot, Mitch

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2016 02:34AM by mitch25.
August 08, 2016 01:24PM
Look at the schematic on the wiki: [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login