Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Too much adhesion to bed?

Posted by Duckmang 
Too much adhesion to bed?
December 18, 2016 03:08PM
I've got an flsun with an MK3 heated bed. I cover it with yellow 3M painter's tape. I have a problem in that prints stick to it too well. I feel like I am apt to damage the bed prying up stubborn prints. I'm printing PLA. Small items I can deliver a sharp whack and knock them loose but anything with more than about 1 square inch stuck to the bed becomes a real challenge. Especially if the print is short or lacks a "handle" to pry and pull on. Allowing prints to cool off completely doesn't help at all. Pulling on stubborn prints while still warm leads to warping and bending.

Am I alone with this problem? I see so many posts about the opposite problem. I hope I'm not coming across like an A-hole, but this seems like a real problem for me. I don't want to damage the bed or my Y axis but it feels like I'm using more than enough force to do either just to get a stubborn print off the bed.

Any advice appreciated.
Re: Too much adhesion to bed?
December 18, 2016 04:43PM
Putting it the freezer can help.
December 18, 2016 04:55PM
I'm printing right on the taped bed. Little difficult to put the whole printer in the freezer and a pretty huge pain in the butt to disassemble the bed from the printer.

May have to try to take the printer outside on a super cold day. It was 7 degrees F for the high here yesterday. If it actually helps then maybe I'll try to come up with a detachable bed surface.
December 18, 2016 05:41PM
Use a sharp flat scraper or a sharp 1/4" chisel with the flat side towards the bed.
December 19, 2016 01:53PM
Have you tried the blue or green painter's tape? The yellow stuff appears to be what they call industrial strength painter's tape intended to be used on floors while painting. This industrial strength stuff may have something in it causing the PLA to bond to it rather than just stick.
December 19, 2016 08:08PM
I haven't. The printer came with a crappy roll of beige tape that I round filed soon after. I grabbed the only other tape I had, which is the yellow stuff. I have had a few prints where I've literally had to scrape tape remnants off the print so maybe there is some bonding.

Next time I'm at the hardware store I'll pick up a roll of the blue stuff and compare how prints stick.
December 20, 2016 06:50AM
Changing tape sounds like a good starting point, but even with the blue tape it's possible to get too much adhesion. I found the 'window' of good settings with pla on tape to be quite narrow,which is one of the reasons I switched to glue stick on glass.

Are you heating the bed? If so, drop the bed temperature in 5 degree increments until you start losing adhesion, then go back up a couple of degrees. If you're not heating the bed you can do the same thing with the first layer nozzle temperature, as long as you're still above the minimum temp to melt the pla. Printing the first layer faster, using a narrower extrusion width and increasing the z0 height will all reduce first layer adhesion too, so there are plenty of options to play with! It's frustrating to get through a print and then damage it because you can't get it off the bed. Been there.
December 20, 2016 12:01PM
JamesK
Changing tape sounds like a good starting point, but even with the blue tape it's possible to get too much adhesion. I found the 'window' of good settings with pla on tape to be quite narrow,which is one of the reasons I switched to glue stick on glass.

Me too, I was using using blue tape on glass. Having the first layer height too low would result in a really smashed first layer, and I would literally have to destroy the tape getting it off the bed, and then scrape it off the bottom of the print. If I print too high, then it doesn't stick. Even when I got that sweet spot, I would get curled corners.

Switching to glue stick, even for pla worked great for me too.
December 26, 2016 03:14PM
So I switched out the yellow tape. It did make a difference. It was a bit more difficult to get the first layer to stick, but once I did the print came out ok and was easier to get off the bed. Still a bit stubborn but not to the point of being worried about breaking or damaging something. I'm not crazy about going to glass. I've got this printer pretty well braced and can push the speed of prints pretty aggressively. I really don't want to have to add the mass of a glass plate to my motion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login