Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS quality issues vs PLA

Posted by mantaray 
ABS quality issues vs PLA
March 20, 2017 05:44PM
I've tried different temperatures and speeds but my ABS quality is nowhere near as good as with PLA. I've attached a sample of something I recently printed with ABS at 230 degrees, 100C bed temp and 10% feed speed as slow as I could go. PLA prints at 30-50% speed fine.

I've attached a photo showing the design, the ABS and the PLA side by side if that helps.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Justin.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2017 08:35PM by mantaray.
Attachments:
open | download - Capture.JPG (50.9 KB)
open | download - Design_PLA_ABS.jpg (212.6 KB)
Re: ABS quality issues vs PLA
March 21, 2017 09:31AM
Which part is which material?
The one on the right seems to extrude better but you need to fix the play or shifting before worrying about the extrusion. What temperatures did you use for the PLA?
The profile is not matching your design. Looks like something is loose in both directions. Assuming its a Pusa or XY, check belts are tight. check hot end is tight. Make sure the bed is not wobbling.
Re: ABS quality issues vs PLA
March 21, 2017 12:55PM
MCcarman
Which part is which material?
The one on the right seems to extrude better but you need to fix the play or shifting before worrying about the extrusion. What temperatures did you use for the PLA?
The profile is not matching your design. Looks like something is loose in both directions. Assuming its a Pusa or XY, check belts are tight. check hot end is tight. Make sure the bed is not wobbling.

Thanks for your reply. The material is the same as the order in the name. PLA is on the left, ABS on the right. PLA temp was 210C, bed 50C. It's possible the slicing isn't 100% accurate too, probably have to adjust the infill or something. My machine is a Prusa I3 Pro X with 5 mm plywood frame. The bed might move slightly but it prints PLA stuff fairly well just the ABS isn't as good. It seems not to extrude the ABS fast enough but if I put the temp up to 240 it seems to burn a bit. I had a Delta 3D 3 in 1 head printer before and it didn't work well with ABS and clogged continuously so I returned it and got this one.

Looking at the prints it appears the Y axis may have problems because of the gaps in the design in the output. I have heard a clicking noise during Y movement so maybe I'll try to track that down. So basically more than one issue right now but I'd like to figure out how to get the ABS flowing better.

UPDATE: I tightened everything and it seems to be printing better now. The nozzle was a bit clogged too since it seems to be printing faster in ABS now at 230C at up to 30% speeds.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2017 05:36PM by mantaray.
Attachments:
open | download - ABS_working_better.JPG (56.5 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login