Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PETG sticking to nozzle? Not sticking to print in thin areas

Posted by AlexY 
PETG sticking to nozzle? Not sticking to print in thin areas
June 22, 2017 09:52PM
I'm having some issues printing PETG (Hatchbox orange). On small/thin areas, it seems like the filament doesn't stick well to the previous layer but instead likes to stick to the nozzle and form blobs, causing underextrusion in smaller areas which sometimes leads to small features being torn off.

Here's some pictures of the issue (note: the problem is apparent in the circled area - the area on the right side of the partially printed screw holes is where the plastic tore off):

I'm printing at around 30mm/s with 0.2mm layers, using a Bowden E3D Lite6 set to 238 C. Retraction is set to 4mm at 90mm/s, and fan is set to 25%.

How can I solve this issue? My initial thoughts are that it's either temperature and/or retraction related. I know the Lite6 isn't ideal for PETG printing, but I'm hoping for it to be good enough to print parts for my new printer which will have a V6 hotend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2017 09:54PM by AlexY.
Re: PETG sticking to nozzle? Not sticking to print in thin areas
June 23, 2017 12:04AM
Retraction id say. I have the same issue with ABS sometimes.
I also have to set some prime amount after a retract for it to work out fine.
Re: PETG sticking to nozzle? Not sticking to print in thin areas
June 24, 2017 09:40PM
After tuning retraction and turning temperature down a little, the problem was better but still there. I ended up using my hotend to manually extrude a bit of filament and weld the piece together, which worked surprisingly well spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login