Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

first prints.

Posted by Karzin 
first prints.
August 09, 2017 03:16AM
Hello guys,

I've recently got my machine to finally extrude without problems.

now i've been working with temperatures and other slic3r settings, but i just cant seem to make the prints look decent.

- the first layer always seems to be underextruded ( you can always see the second layer if you're looking at the bottom of the part.

- throughout the whole print looks wavy. and that seems to be periodic

-there's allways a lot of webbing. I'm ofc talking about those spiderweb like strings hanging though out all the print.

these are the major problems that i cant figure out. do anyone know how to deal with any of them?

thnaks
Re: first prints.
August 09, 2017 03:38PM
Any Pics? I crank up the extrusion on first layer a little, then roll it back, Dont use Slicer so not sure all the settings there but I bet there are more to worry about than in Matter Control, Spider strings is retraction settings(or maybe temp).
August 10, 2017 02:37PM
UPDATE:

so the stringing is down to a minimum. appearantly you have to make the retraction bigger and the non print movement faster ( 5mm and 250mm/s). cant completely make the go away because it appears that the PLA I bought really lacks viscosity, but for now i can live with that.

in slic3r you can only adjust temperatures for the first layer.
August 10, 2017 03:07PM

in slic3r you can only adjust temperatures for the first layer.

In slicer settings print settings/advanced you can set 1st layer extrusion width,
August 15, 2017 06:11AM
So I've set the thing to 250% (from 200%) and it did worse. it extruded the same amount pretty much, but the lines were further apart. so then i decreased it to 150% ant it looks pretty good.
August 15, 2017 06:22AM
Ummmm... why are you setting your extrusion rate to such large values? I typically have mine at 100% or close to it. Have you calibrated your extruder?

Depending on what type of extruder/hotend you have, 5mm may be too much retraction, and may cause hot-end jams. 5mm is probably about right on a Delta or other printer with a Bowden tube between extruder and hot-end. If you have a direct drive extruder, then you probably don't want more than 1-2mm retraction.

Depending on what type of printer you have, there can be several reasons for waviness in the Z-axis... if layer height in your slicer doesn't match your Z step size, for example. Or a wobble in your Z axis,
August 16, 2017 03:09AM
well My extruder is a direct drive one and i didn't notice any difference between 5mm and 2mm retraction so i just left it there, so i guess it wouldn't hurt to make it smaller. Although I did come up with that number following a video tutorial from "Matter hacker", that said the retraction should not exceed 5mm, that's why I stuck with it.

the Z axis Actually is quite unique in my case( at least I've never seen one like this before) I designed my own to be made of two drawer sliders instead of smooth rod and linear bearings and therefore the z axis is quite rigid. It didn't wobble even when i had the motor in bad alignment and used a stiff coupler, so I'm thinking the problem is the one you mentioned where layer height doesn't match Z steps. could you elaborate on that?

Also the slicer makes the infill a 100% in places where the cross section area is smaller, but not so small that the required infill pattern wouldn't fit. any Idea on that?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login