Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Horrible first layer- uneven extrusion and clicking extruder

Posted by theblindsaint 
Horrible first layer- uneven extrusion and clicking extruder
August 07, 2017 11:03PM
I'm trying to make a profile for quick and dirty prints, but the quality of this first layer is beyond atrocious
[drive.google.com]

I'm using a makerbot clone modified for marlin, sliced with slicer with the following settings [pastebin.com]

The clicking noises have lessened when I uped the temp but I'm now at 260 and afraid of going higher. Still stuck on the uneven extrusions though
Re: Horrible first layer- uneven extrusion and clicking extruder
August 08, 2017 04:33AM
If it's getting better when printing slower, and your extruder stepper isn't hot, you may try to increase Vref at the stepper driver.
August 08, 2017 04:52AM
I've raised the vref as high as it will go without having werid noises, or maybe i should also mess with the tension?
August 12, 2017 05:52AM
Tension? Which tension?
August 12, 2017 06:34AM
[quote
]first_layer_extrusion_width = 200%
first_layer_height = 0.35
[/quote]

so it seems you are trying to print a 0.7 extrusion width with a 0.4 nozzle (0.35x200%)
try setting the first_layer_extrusion to a deffinit value like 0.4
also 80mm/s seems rather fast for a 1st layer speed
August 13, 2017 08:57AM
Have you tried to increase the flow rate?
August 13, 2017 09:00PM
Thanks for catching that! 200% was the default setting and i forgot to change it for this profile.

Flow rate? As in extrusion multiplier? No, cause if I increase it then it over extrudes.

I mean the idle arm tension, the part that grips and feeds the filament into the printer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2017 09:01PM by theblindsaint.
August 15, 2017 01:24PM
I have read that the maximum layer you can put down is between 50% and 80% of the nozzle diameter. With a .4mm nozzle, at best you are limited to a max of .32mm layers. I regularly do .3mm layers with my .4mm nozzle.
To guarantee that my first layer goes down and stays there I run it at 20% of my normal print speed and put that layer down at 90% of my layer height.
So, on my printer that I run at 60mm/s and .2mm layer normally, my first layer is 12mm/s and .18mm high. Rather than put more volume down on the first layer I "squish" the first layer down harder.
Another thing, I usually run the extruder 10 deg. C hotter on the first layer. So, for PLA that I print at 200C, the first layer is at 210C and I don't turn the part fan on until the third layer.

DLC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2017 01:25PM by dlc60.
August 16, 2017 04:30AM
theblindsaint
I mean the idle arm tension, the part that grips and feeds the filament into the printer.
Ah, I see. Maybe, but probably this is not the problem. If the tension/pressure is too low, the filament slips, and the bolt grinds it. This gives no clicking, but kind of crisping noise, and you'll see sone filament dust when you open it. If it's too strong, it may result in clicks (E stepper loosing steps), but usually the filament gets squashed really flat, if the pressure is set this high. If the filament looks good, the clicks probably come from a too low current, so if the motor isn't hot, I'd increase the Vref at the stepper driver, so the motor gets more current.

Can you get the filament out of the feeder again? You'll probably need to heat up the nozzle to 190 or 200 to get it out. At the end of the filament, the part that was already fed inside the hotend but not molt, you will see some marks from the bolt. Can you post a pic?

A few weeks ago I had a Wade's feeding 3mm ABS into a 0.3mm nozzle, and I couldn't find a setting to make this work. I think the reduction from 3mm filament to 0.3mm nozzle is too much - the filament is 100 times larger than the nozzle opening, so I'll try to change it to a 1.75mm filament feeding. The same setup with a 0.5mm nozzle did about 5kg ABS with no problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2017 04:31AM by Inhumierer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login