Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hictop 3DP11 X or Y axis stuttering near end of print causing failure?

Posted by BigDan 
Hictop 3DP11 X or Y axis stuttering near end of print causing failure?
October 04, 2017 10:25AM
I have a Hictop 3DP11 printer and am very pleased with it except for this odd behavior:

Occasionally when printing, the print will be nearly done (80% complete) and either the X or Y axis starts to grind/stutter and make a loud racket like it's jammed, but I don't see a jam, ultimately the positioning of the motor fails, I get extruded filament in places it shouldn't be and the print fails.
Any suggestions on how to resolve this? Is this a USB->Serial issue (I'm printing via USB with Cura 2.7), is this a stepper motor/driver issue, is there an update to Marlin that might fix this, or is this just a result of a bad slice of the model?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Hictop 3DP11 X or Y axis stuttering near end of print causing failure?
October 04, 2017 10:37AM
If its going 80% before playing up it sounds like maybe your drivers or motors are over heating. are the motor hot to touch when the print fails.
October 04, 2017 10:39AM
I didn't think of checking the driver temperature; I did check the motors and both were cool to the touch. I'll remove the cover on the control board and check the driver temperature next time it occurs and post what I find.
October 04, 2017 03:31PM
I have a 3DP11 and 12
Alignment of the Z-Axis lead screws can lead to binding and the Lead screw nut can get misaligned when using the 3D Printed Z-Axis lead-screw Mounts.
If your model has the all thread 1.25mm X 8mm lead screw the Coupler can get misaligned an spin off center,
I put one wrap is electricians tape on the lead screw then pushed it into the coupler before tightening keeping it centered. The injection molded lead screw part have eliminated this.
October 11, 2017 03:20PM
Found the root cause, a pin inside of the stepper motor wasn't soldered! Had to take the case off the stepper motor to see this, apparently it would make a connection under the correct phase of the moon, but then on others would just stop working.
After soldering I have went thru a half a dozen prints, a few several hours in length, with no issues.
Attachments:
open | download - unsoldered pin.png (468.7 KB)
October 11, 2017 03:31PM
Good Catch,

I had to print Z-Axis smooth rod supports before I could print without Z-Banding

[www.thingiverse.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login