Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hollow Cube... or Tornado?confused smiley

Posted by Sniper4395 
Hollow Cube... or Tornado?confused smiley
September 18, 2012 11:42PM

Attempted my first print, a Hollow Cube. As you can see it is neither hollow nor a cube. haha

Some specs. Printrbot, Printrboard, Marlin, Printrun, Slicer.

The hollow part I understand can be adjusted in Slicer with infill and such, but whats up with the vertical layer offset? That doesnt make any sense to me.

Thank you all in advance for any help. Where would the RepRap community be without people like you taking time out of your day to help us newbies get started.
Re: Hollow Cube... or Tornado?confused smiley
September 19, 2012 10:08AM
It looks like your X axis is slipping. Tighten your X pulley and if you have time, flatten out the motor shaft to prevent future slippage. Also, head over to printrbottalk.com for anything printrbot specific, we can solve most of your problems.
September 19, 2012 01:21PM
Right! Forgot to double check the X pully. I'll check on that this weekend.

Was thinking that the Motor and/or stepper driver was overheating, but your explaination makes more sense.

Thanks again. I'll repost on Printrbottalk this weekend also. If this resolves the issue then maybe it'll help someone else out.
September 22, 2012 04:04AM

Much better! Picture shows attempts in order from left to right, right being a 50mm tower attempt.

Do you guys have any tips for the Y rods sticking? Been using White Lithium grease, but the rods stick in the same spots everytime. Thinkin' there's a nick in the belt or on the rod.

Digital caliper thingy is in the mail. Hopefully a respectable hollow cube is on the horizon.
September 24, 2012 02:29AM
It sounds like your Y rods are either not parallel or one or both might be bent. Are you using LM8UU bearings or printed bearings? If the former, then they shouldn't need much lubrication as they bearings come pre-lubricated.

Sniper4395 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [s13.postimage.org]
>
>
> Much better! Picture shows attempts in order from
> left to right, right being a 50mm tower attempt.
>
> Do you guys have any tips for the Y rods sticking?
> Been using White Lithium grease, but the rods
> stick in the same spots everytime. Thinkin'
> there's a nick in the belt or on the rod.
>
> Digital caliper thingy is in the mail. Hopefully a
> respectable hollow cube is on the horizon.

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
September 24, 2012 06:52AM
Spot on MotoBarsteward! After after adjusting the nuts on the threaded bars that make up the base/frame dew-hicky the bed moved a lot more smoothly. this also seems to be one of those rare occasions when one can use too much lube.

Also I've been greatly underestimating the importance of a level print bed and proper Z-height. ended up carving a few squares in the kaptom tape, BUT more importantly, a successful print! Hooah!

It's miles from those injection-molded prints most of you guys have. Still. I'm proud of it.

Thanks everyone (gyronictonic and MotoBarsteward) for all your help.

Still open for tips if you can ascertain anything from these pictures. For example the X moves smoothly while moving left but the extruder kinda' vibrates while moving right. Another one of those things that doesn't make a lot of sense. Also I cant tell if it's extruding too much or not enough. Tried calibrating with the awesome "Slicer is Nicer" blog by RichRap, but it still seems a little off.
September 27, 2012 10:26AM
Hello,

I just came into this RepRap world... and the first question is on that king of prototyping - won't the "cover" collapse? How should design be done to produce hollow volumes?

Great job,, anyway. I'm willing to star with mine...

have fun!
VDX
September 27, 2012 10:30AM
... search for 'bridging', 'infill' and 'soluble support-material' - depending of your skills and experience some really weird stuff is possible with hot plastics grinning smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login