Advanced

Small features not printing correctly

Posted by foul_owl 
Small features not printing correctly
April 18, 2019 04:04PM

I looked here:
[reprap.org]

But didn't see anything about this.

Large features seem to have no issues, but small features get mangled.

I'm using slic3r with default speed. For small perimeters that default is 15mm/sec.

Should I try even lower speed there?
Re: Small features not printing correctly
April 19, 2019 04:08AM
It would appear that little to no filament is printed when the surface of the feature is small. I'd look at retraction settings, maybe the value is too high. Should be about 1mm for a direct drive or 4-6mm for a bowden setup. I'd also tweak the hot end temperature, lower or higher to see if that helps. Do you use a cooling fan?

--
Kind regards
Imqqmi

NFAN CoreXY printer:
[reprap.org]
April 19, 2019 03:36PM
Closer to 1.2mm for a E3Dv6 type.

Retract distance and nozzle temp are closely related in the e3dv6, and you cant run too high a temp either(creep).

You can also change the min travel distance before a retract occurs, set it to 2x the distance you see there. 10mm?
April 20, 2019 12:44AM
What temperature, material, and speed are you using? To me it looks too cool or too fast. Also, make sure the "Slow down if print time is below" is high enough and the "Min print speed" setting is low enough in the filament cooling settings of slic3r. For example, I use 20 and 5 for PLA, respectively, and 15 and 1 for ABS.
April 22, 2019 06:14PM
jefbed
What temperature, material, and speed are you using? To me it looks too cool or too fast. Also, make sure the "Slow down if print time is below" is high enough and the "Min print speed" setting is low enough in the filament cooling settings of slic3r. For example, I use 20 and 5 for PLA, respectively, and 15 and 1 for ABS.

This looks like a problem with excessive retracts or you have a really large "coasting" distance. I generally set my coasting to about 0.2mm, much more than that and I starve the outer layer. It looks like not enough filament is being extruded. In a small space like that, it makes me think of a coasting setting.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login