Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Scaling the first layer only

Posted by foul_owl 
Scaling the first layer only
August 21, 2019 03:01AM
I need to shrink just the first layer by 0.3%. My print is coming out perfectly except the first layer bulges out a tiny tiny bit due to it being the first layer and getting compressed slightly on the glass.

I would prefer to not have to take a razor blade to all my prints to remove this excess, it is time consuming.

I'm printing some things to fit together and this is an annoying issue.

I'm using slic3r currently.

There is probably a way to do it in a shell script, but if any tool supports this feature currently I would prefer to use that.
Re: Scaling the first layer only
August 21, 2019 04:21AM
Its a feature of PrusaSlicer 2.0

see Makers Muse video [youtu.be]
August 21, 2019 10:54AM
foul_owl
I need to shrink just the first layer by 0.3%. My print is coming out perfectly except the first layer bulges out a tiny tiny bit due to it being the first layer and getting compressed slightly on the glass.

If the first layer is bulging out, wouldn't that be a sign your first layer may be too close to the bed? I may be wrong, but I don't see bulging on my first layer and don't have issues with the layer sticking to the bed. I do however religiously print my first layer at 10 mm/s regardless of material to make sure it sticks, but I don't see any considerable squish or bulge.
August 21, 2019 05:35PM
foul_owl

I would prefer to not have to take a razor blade to all my prints to remove this excess, it is time consuming.

I'm printing some things to fit together and this is an annoying issue.

I'm using slic3r currently.

There is probably a way to do it in a shell script, but if any tool supports this feature currently I would prefer to use that.

This is what we call "elephant's foot" and is caused by "over squishing" the first layer. Either reduce your extrusion rate or increase your head height for the first layer.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
August 22, 2019 11:02AM
Slic3r has an option for "First layer width" which can be set to an absolute width, but is generally set as a percentage of the first layer height. You can set this independently of all of the rest of the settings, so if the rest of your print is good, then this is probably what you want to fix.

I believe that this defaults to 200%, at least that's what it was on my setup before I changed it. This is not unreasonable in most cases, but I prefer to use a fixed layer width which I base on nozzle diameter instead, which works better for me than basing it on layer height, so it's still reasonable when I want higher resolution.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
August 22, 2019 02:53PM
Thank you so much for the help! Let me try these solutions!

Also good to know the "elephant's foot" terminology!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login