Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z axis incorrect movement

Posted by poissonrouge 
Z axis incorrect movement
September 28, 2012 06:54AM
Hi guys, hope someone can help me with a problem I'm having with my Z axis movement.

I'm using printrboard with marlin, slic3r and pronterface, everything is set as it should be but the Z axis is not moving as far as it should between layers.

If I tell it to move manually with pronterface, it moves as it should, but in print it moves about 85% of what it should according to the slic3r Gcode.

X and Y are fine and I'm using the same motors and screws to move all axes, I'm tearing my hair out now cos I've tried everything I can think of to get this working accurately.

Regards, Steve
Re: Z axis incorrect movement
September 28, 2012 08:20AM
Obviously your MAX Z speed is set too high and you are loosing steps.
You can set a maximum speed (and acceleration in some cases) in your firmware.
I don't know if you can set the MAX Z speed in Slic3r, but you can in Skeinforge.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
September 28, 2012 08:36AM
firmware settings are the same for all 3 axes
September 28, 2012 08:55AM
THIS IS WRONG!

Your Z-axis can not move nearly as fast as your X and Y axis!

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
September 28, 2012 08:59AM
I'm printing slowly and accurately, using the same motors and 2mm leadscrews on all 3 axes
September 28, 2012 09:14AM
x and y have been slowed to the same speed as the z until i try a higher lead on the x and y later.
1600 steps per mm, max feed 5 mm per second and I'm getting great prints, but vertically challenged
October 01, 2012 04:29AM
Further to the above info, the forecast sizes in pronterface are incorrect, with X and Y being over-estimated but Z being correct. Is this a problem with pronterface or slic3r?
October 01, 2012 11:38AM
poissonrouge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Further to the above info, the forecast sizes in
> pronterface are incorrect, with X and Y being
> over-estimated but Z being correct. Is this a
> problem with pronterface or slic3r?

The X and Y sizes indicated in pronterface will include any perimeter loops or brim that slic3r is set to generate. Does that make up the difference?

-Rob A>
October 02, 2012 05:15AM
Thankyou Rob, yes, the numbers add up that way, so the problem is most likely in the firmware. I'm trying an increased number of steps on Z to see if that works to correct the error there, fingers crossed
October 03, 2012 11:07AM
Ok, Z axis steps didn't work.
So now I'm opening an STL file in Repetier, factoring the Z, saving the STL, then opening it in Pronterface for slicing and printing. This works for me but is not a long term solution.
For some reason Repetier doesn't look in the config file when slicing and still uses defaults.
October 03, 2012 11:40AM
Repetier like marlin uses the values in the EPROM if they exist, Marlin does the same thing.
In marlin you can reset the values, I don't know if there is a repetier equivalent.
Just edit the Z step value in repetier host, it'll overwrite the EPROM value.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login