Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Simplify3D v4 issue

Posted by TheMacDaddy 
Simplify3D v4 issue
December 02, 2019 05:25PM
Hi, bit of a strange one. I'm using S3D & Wanhao Di3 v2.1 to print my models, however when the model has finished printing, S3D runs though the end G Code fine but then it starts to print that same model again.
My end G Code is as follows :

M104 S0 ;extruder heater off
M140 S0 ;heated bed heater off (if you have it)
G91 ;relative positioning
G1 E-1 F300 ;retract the filament a bit before lifting the nozzle
to release some of the pressure
G1 Z+2 E-5 X-20 Y-20 F9000 ;move Z up a bit and retract filament even more
G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops
so the head is out of the way
G1 Y150 F5000 ;move completed part out
M84 ;steppers off
G90 ;absolute positioning

When it tries to reprint the same model it does so at the edge of the build plate causing the stepper motors to grind and make strange noises.
This isn't an issue when I use Cura, but I prefer S3D.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm pulling my hair out.
Re: Simplify3D v4 issue
December 02, 2019 05:42PM
TheMacDaddy
Hi, bit of a strange one. I'm using S3D & Wanhao Di3 v2.1 to print my models, however when the model has finished printing, S3D runs though the end G Code fine but then it starts to print that same model again.
My end G Code is as follows :

M104 S0 ;extruder heater off
M140 S0 ;heated bed heater off (if you have it)
G91 ;relative positioning
G1 E-1 F300 ;retract the filament a bit before lifting the nozzle
to release some of the pressure
G1 Z+2 E-5 X-20 Y-20 F9000 ;move Z up a bit and retract filament even more
G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops
so the head is out of the way
G1 Y150 F5000 ;move completed part out
M84 ;steppers off
G90 ;absolute positioning

When it tries to reprint the same model it does so at the edge of the build plate causing the stepper motors to grind and make strange noises.
This isn't an issue when I use Cura, but I prefer S3D.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm pulling my hair out.

Do you use Octoprint? I have a very similar issue, but in reverse. When I send a print job to this printer (Rambo board) from CURA, the printer moves to the far corner of the build volume and proceeds to print, moving in the Z axis but not in the X and Y. When I send the print job via S3D, the printer operates normally. If I save the g-code to an SD card and print from the card, everything works great.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
December 02, 2019 06:09PM
Strange thing is I was using S3D a couple of years ago with no problems. I packed away my printer and only recently got it back up and running
and the problem started. confused smiley
December 03, 2019 11:17AM
TheMacDaddy
Strange thing is I was using S3D a couple of years ago with no problems. I packed away my printer and only recently got it back up and running
and the problem started. confused smiley

I use both CURA and S3D regularly. S3D prints almost always turn out better than CURA, with one exception, complex parts that need support. In most cases S3D support options are far superior to those in CURA. Mostly. CURA's Experimental "Tree Support" is fantastic on most complex prints.

If S3D added supports like the CURA Experimental "Tree supports", I'd never use CURA again. Tree supports usually work WAY better for complex prints that need support.

However, the problem that you describe is one that I have seen in CURA when sending a file to the printer over Octoprint. Try saving the print job to a SD card and printing from the card and see if the issue goes away.

DLC

Kits: Folgertech Kossel 2020 upgraded E3Dv6, Anet A8 upgraded E3Dv6, Tevo Tarantula enhanced parts and dual-head, TronXY X5SA Pro(E3DHemera).
Scratch: Large bed Cartesian, exchangeable heads, Linear slide Delta, Maker-Beam XL Micro Delta, 220x220CoreXY.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login