Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The right side of my prints are always bad

Posted by z3ro 
The right side of my prints are always bad
October 23, 2012 04:58PM
I have had very few prints come out good All of my prints that are bad it is the right side that is the problem it also seems that parts printed on the right side of the print bed are off. I have been trying to print a gear it starts off good then about 15 laters in the right side starts to mess up the left side still looks fine I am running RAMPS 1.4 with Marlin here are a few pics it might be hard to see it on the picture of the gear. The other picture is of two parts that are the same the one printed on the right side is the one that is messed up any help would be apreciated .
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20121023_161143.jpg (593.8 KB)
open | download - IMG_20121023_161203.jpg (566.1 KB)
open | download - IMG_20121023_161243.jpg (599.9 KB)
Re: The right side of my prints are always bad
October 24, 2012 02:12AM
I had an effect similar to this. Check that the crub screw in your x axis pulley is tight.

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
October 24, 2012 04:51AM
No grub screw it is just press fit on. I was thinking about ordering new belts and pullies. I will check the x axis maybe add a grub screw. Also my setup is a Prusa Mendel wades extruder j-head MK V-B hot end and RAMPS 1.4 with Marlin. firmware

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2012 07:41AM by z3ro.
October 24, 2012 06:16PM
Yeah man that's classic belt slippage right there. Never heard of a pulley that's meant to be just press fit. flat your motors, add a grub screw and put a small dab of Locktite on the shaft and the grub screw. Personally my belts are so tight that I had to epoxy the pulleys on. I'll pay for that when it comes time to change out the belts, but hey they dont slip! haha

-Tom
October 25, 2012 12:14PM
LOL - I had to think about that for a minute to catch on...

Translation for Americans: grub screw = set screw

Ahh, separated by a common language winking smiley
October 25, 2012 01:03PM
smiling smiley haha wow. Had to re-read my own post to get that one.

-Tom
October 25, 2012 01:38PM
eye rolling smiley

I really need to remember to put on my glasses! I realise now that I typed crub when I meant grub!

I don't know if its just my family but, to me, a grub screw is also a name for a belly button or navel.

I'm not sure it's belt slip as such because it corrects it's self on the return.

Anyway, I'm glad a made people smile even if I've not been able to help.

Using ABSPrusa Mendel Zaphod with Pronterface and slic3r 1.3.0. Printing well with 3mm PLA and ABS through 2 x J Head Mk IV b and Wade Geared Exruders. Controlled using RAMPS1.4 board running Marlin_v1.1.9
October 25, 2012 04:18PM
I really dont think its belt slip because the left side of the print is perfect. If it was belt slip I would think the whole layer would shift not just the right side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2012 05:29PM by z3ro.
October 26, 2012 01:20AM
I agree, it sounds more like something is binding and causing the system to flex when it extends to the right side, then as it moves back the system unflexes as the binding force is relieved. Kind of a generic explanation but I don't have your machine in front of me to study. I'd look for something that impedes the axis movement and causes the linear energy to strain and flex the structure.
I'm gonna take a stab and say check your bulldog clips? I had mine "side to side" originally and they kept looking like they would catch something, then I found MOST people actually have them "front to back" and I changed it - much more safe-looking now!

But yeah if it was belt slip it would be a different story - the holes kinda look distorted, not "shifted" - if they were shifted it would imply belt slippage / missed steps, but this looks distorted...
December 10, 2012 02:09PM
I have a similar situation front to back on my printer and I'm fairly certain it's a cooling issue. My cooling is provided by a computer fan clamped to a dining room chair in front of the printer (yeah, I know it was only meant to be temporary ...... at least I've moved on from having a second chair with a pool of filament clamped to it!) I get good quality at the front but on complicated prints like gears I start with good quality at the back and it then degenerates. I'm fairly sure it's to do with the hotend dragging through soft print which starts to build up and cause more drag etc etc. I have been thinking about installing a second dining room chair with another fan at the back of the printer to test this but have decided it's time to take the plunge and design and print myself a cooling shroud to go around the hotend.

This is a recent print (stopped part way for obvious reasons of a fractal vase from thingiverse (Yet more twisting kochflake vases)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2012 02:28PM by Logrod.
Attachments:
open | download - DSCF0033.JPG (297.4 KB)
open | download - DSCF0034.JPG (298.2 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login