Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The extruder jams after use for a while- i know the problem, but not the solution

Posted by Archieandwill 
The extruder jams after use for a while- i know the problem, but not the solution
November 25, 2012 12:20PM
** Apologies if my language/style is incorrect, this is my first post and I haven't lurked enough**

TL;DR: A kink is produced in the plastic causing it to jam

I have a Rapman 3.2 and I'm trying to use PLA Green plastic. Up until now I have been trying to print with it, but every time I do the printer jams. This is because the extruder will pull the plastic off the coil and twist it as it uncoils. This then builds up tension as it pulls off the reel and eventually twists inevitably at the head (just before it goes in to the actual melting part) of the extruder, causing a kink in the plastic which the machine can't pull through, jamming the machine.

How can you solve this problem? And if it is already solved on another thread, can you direct me there?

preemptive thanks

Willum grinning smiley

** Apologies if my language/style is incorrect, this is my first post and I haven't lurked enough**

Other information: I've used ABS Blue, but this gets knotted on the reel which means it doesn't feed properly unless you are constanly looking after it. I know that there no other issues with the printer.
Re: The extruder jams after use for a while- i know the problem, but not the solution
November 25, 2012 09:05PM
Sounds like you need a spool holder with bearings, so the spool can actually rotate while the material is being pulled in by your extruder, eliminating the twisting.

[www.thingiverse.com]

Are you printing from a spool, or just coiled material?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2012 09:20PM by Dirty Steve.
Getting this with a new RepRapPro. Worked perfectly with the original 100m of Arctic White shipped with the kit, but getting the extruder stopping - with noise from the drive - 10min into a 1hr print with both KDI Blue and Faberdashery red.

I had one kink at the extruder drive earlier, but now I'm careful to ensure the filament isn't twisting.

Can't work out if I have the spring bolts on the extruder too tight or too loose, or its something else.

Filament reverses out OK under drive.
Update. Loose extruder gear. Blue Faberdashery filament printed perfectly after wrapping the nut in the centre of the gear in tape.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login