Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Strange prusa printing issue

Posted by maca_404 
Strange prusa printing issue
December 09, 2012 11:03PM
Hey Guys

I hope someone might have seen this before, havent used my prusa in a while and just started again. Using the Marlin firmware, Slicing with slic3r and connecting to the printer with pronterface. The issue I am having is stepping in the print I initially thought a mechanical issue but it is so consistent it will step out for x layers then back in for x layers on the surface of anything I print I have tried a lot of fiddling but I am at a loss as to what is doing this. If anyone has an Idea I would love to hear it.

Cheers
Attachments:
open | download - SANY00278.JPG (259.7 KB)
Re: Strange prusa printing issue
December 10, 2012 02:49AM
It almost looks like the 3D printer equivalent of "pixelated" - Don't know much about slic3r, but, could this be some sort of "coarseness" setting? if you have a setting for coarseness try setting it to 1.0, other than that, I have no idea sorry!
VDX
December 10, 2012 02:51AM
... could be your Z-steps per layer height were different? - if reducing the layer-height with same extruding values, the plastc is more 'squished' and will extend the outer dimension slightly ... same with higher layers forming smaller outline dimensions ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
December 10, 2012 06:27AM
The interesting thing is though it is always the same I would assume if it were mehanical it would affect all layers, however the layer which stick out are stacked perfectly it really seems on purpose.
December 10, 2012 12:54PM
Does the spacing of the wobble line up with the threads on your Z Screw?
December 10, 2012 04:49PM
Very good thinking I will check that , I dont think it wil be though because the steps go all the way around the print. were if it were a missalignment issue it would be stepped on one side and not on the other.
December 10, 2012 05:58PM
Depends how bad the wobble is, it can certainly go all the way around the print.
December 10, 2012 06:20PM
the infamous 'Z-Wobble' would NOT do this in a print, no matter how bad it is.

Z-wobble would shift the layer to one side but NOT overhang a complete layer all the way around the perimeter.

Layer smash maybe, but not wobble.

What kind of couplers are you running on your Z-axis? Z motors on top or bottom of your printer?

It looks like your couplers are torque/spring loading and unloading during printing. The entire x-axis assembly weight is carried by the Z axis lead screws.

Running aluminum couplers on mine, motors on top, with 608 bearings and nuts on the bottom of the rods so that the x assembly is not hanging on the couplers. Very sure these couplers would snap in a day if they were holding up the weight of the x axis assembly.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2012 06:48PM by Dirty Steve.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login