Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Smallest nozzle ever?

Posted by sungod3k 
Smallest nozzle ever?
January 10, 2013 12:13PM
Hey guys,

Im trying to get to .1mm layerheight. I have now a .35mm nozzle and I saw that on makergear they have a .25mm. Is there some place which offers an even smaller one?

Cheers
Re: Smallest nozzle ever?
January 10, 2013 12:49PM
You don't need a smaller nozzle to reduce the layer height. You just reduce it on your slicer but keep the width around the same as the nozzle diameter.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 10, 2013 01:16PM
As you reduce the layer height, at some point you'll be forced to print with 100% or close to 100% infill.
At really low layer heights, the filament won't bridge sparse infil.
January 11, 2013 06:36PM
Polygonhell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As you reduce the layer height, at some point
> you'll be forced to print with 100% or close to
> 100% infill.
> At really low layer heights, the filament won't
> bridge sparse infil.

I just did a .05 layer yoda a couple days ago. I only had 20% infill. It did fine. (.35 nozzle)
January 11, 2013 07:18PM
For cosmetic prints where it terminates in an arch it's usually fine, the issue is when you have a flat top over a lot of open space like the test cube.
it also depends on the nozzle and how much the filment is stretched, On my 0.5mm Buddashnozzle, I can't even bridge 50% infill on a test cube at 0.1mm layer height.
But a 0.35mm nozzle is half the area, so you'll get away with more.
January 14, 2013 12:57PM
And depending on the slicer you use, there are often options to infill every X layers. This lets you reduce perimeter thickness while keeping the infill extrusion thicker so it spans better.

-Rob A>
fma
January 16, 2013 08:17AM
I just asked GRRF, and they can make 0.2mm nozzle.

I'm currently using a 0.3mm GRRF nozzle (for 1.75mm filament), and I tried yesterday night layers of 0.075mm. It worked fine, but XY accuracy does not seem to be improved over 0.1mm layers.

Is it because 0.3mm is to high for the nozzle hole? Do you think I can get better details on XY using a 0.2mm nozzle?

Are there some known issues using such small nozzle?

I'm printing ABS...

Thanks.

Frédéric
January 16, 2013 02:38PM
Yes the horizontal minimum feature size and the bend radius get better with a smaller nozzle.

The downside is the pressure increases with the inverse four power of nozzle aperture so the flow rate is limited, slowing down the build speed.

fma
January 17, 2013 02:33AM
Mmm, so pressure@0,2mm is 5 times the pressure@0,3mm! It increases pretty fast!

It is not a problem to slow down the speed, but I hope my direct drive extruder will be able to push the filament!

What about the temperature? How do you adjust it, when reducing the nozzle size? Does it make sens to increase it, so the ABS is more runny?

Frédéric
January 17, 2013 05:37AM
With larger nozzles the force required to push the filament is dominated by the super viscous plastic at the transition zone rather than the nozzle pressure but for smaller nozzles the pressure rapidly becomes more significant.

The pressure drops linearly with flow speed so you can always slow down to compensate, but as you are extruding much smaller filament the build time rapidly increases.

With PLA you can increase the temperature a bit to make it less viscous but then it won't span gaps. With ABS the viscosity changes much more slowly with temperature and you hit a limit around 260C where it starts to discolour and burn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login