Printing from a micro-SD
February 21, 2013 02:41PM
I read this, Preparing a file to print: ... It is recommended, however, to print from the MicroSD card for a number of reasons. ... (http://www.reprap.org/wiki/RepRapPro_Huxley_printing). I use pronterface, when I press the SD button appears inactive SD Upload and SD Print, I think you can move the files to the SD Print to micro-SD and SD Print to print the file.

Is it possible to move the print files directly from your computer directly to the printer without using additional tools?

Thank you.

Regards,
Heri

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2013 02:42PM by herisuprapto.
Re: Printing from a micro-SD
February 22, 2013 12:38AM
Pop the micro SD out of the printer. slot it into your PC. Use card/chip to usb adapter if necessary.

Copy files onto SD. I think it needs to be in 8,3 name format for the Printer to read. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Eject/unmount SD from PC slot into printer.

... Or did I mis-understand the question...
February 22, 2013 02:15AM
Thanks to Komb', I'd do it by copying files (. Stl) to the microSD, and do not appear on the SD> SD Print> Pick File SD, may indeed have to use the 8.3 format, I do not know about that format? Or have changed the format of the first. Stl to 8.3-format?
February 22, 2013 07:54AM
12345678.gco

8 character name limit with 3 character limit on the gcode extension.
February 22, 2013 08:40AM
It is possible to print without going the SD card route, (and this can save a bit of time if you are experimenting, perhaps with gross calibration problems.) Just select the gcode and PRINT, but whenever I've tried this with anything serious I've found the printer has hung up after a few layers. (using a Mac Pro has a host)

It seems possible to upload a file to the SD via the cable but this looks like it would take ages, I've never had the patenience to let an upload complete.
February 23, 2013 10:31AM
herisuprapto Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks to Komb', I'd do it by copying files (.
> Stl) to the microSD,

Um...

Printing directly from a pc or from the microSD, you first need to slice the .stl files into .gcode (I use .g in the card)

You need to run the .stl through either Slic3r or Skienforge to make the .gcode file.

.stl open 3D file specification.
.gcode printer command file

Komb'
Glankonian Protoforms
February 23, 2013 12:10PM
Thank you Spk64, TerryKidd, Komb '. I've tried it, I change my name to *. GCO at the time of upload and select them in SD Print, the printer interface displays the number of bytes such as Formula 1, until the last lap.

I feel, not too much difference between the print with or without a microSD, maybe I am wrong about this ...
February 25, 2013 12:30AM
You really notice the difference between SD and pc when you have a lot of curves or small details in the print. These can saturate the USB line causing slowdown or pauses in the print.
February 25, 2013 04:33AM
If not mistaken, your message is, if SD is used for small details and curves ... Can you explain this one: These can saturate the USB line causing slowdown or pauses in the print.

Sorry, I'm still learning to understand English, use Google to translate what I want to know, and learn to use the right words.smiling smiley
February 25, 2013 04:27PM
Ok,

PC->USB <--fixed baud rate--> USB->Arduino/Ramps

If too much detail is necessary for print the PC can fill the USB pipe and have to wait. The Arduino also ends-up waiting on commands at times. This can cause pauses in the print.

Arduino/RAMPS<->SD

The Arduino can read the SD way faster then the USB link making all print commands instantly available when needed. No Waiting for next command.

I hope this helps.
February 28, 2013 01:58AM
Now I know, if required by the SD process faster. Perhaps this should be, what it's called, the default setting, so all of the printing process is always through SD.

Yes, and I am grateful to you for helping me and to all who have read this.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login