Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cannot get ABS to stick to print bed

Posted by AVRkire 
Cannot get ABS to stick to print bed
March 23, 2013 12:09PM
I finally got my printer set up, and I THINK calibrated correctly.

I am using a heated bed up to 110.

I have a PET sheet covering my glass and have cleaned it thoroughly with windex.

A j-head up to 220.

I set up z end stop so that the nozzle is 2 sheets of paper off the bed for home.

In slicer I am using .2mm level heights, although I have tried .3 and .4 as well.

I am doing a skirt.

What happens is the plastic is coming out, but not going down to the bed and instead curling itself up under the j-head and bunching up there.

The printer is moving as it should for the print, plastic is just not sticking.

Anyone have any ideas?
Re: Cannot get ABS to stick to print bed
March 23, 2013 12:50PM
HI
Why 2 sheets of paper ? try with 1 and check specifically in the area where you are going to print. it may be that your print bed is slightly concave
If that shows improvement but still not sticking enough you may consider increasing your first layer
In slicer you can find first layer height under print settings > layers and perimeters
also if your doubtful you are extuding enough material in general try the extusion multiplyer in Filament settings

Good luck
March 23, 2013 02:10PM
OK, thanks for the tip!

Currently my first layer height is 100%, do you have a recommendation to try?
March 23, 2013 04:15PM
It sounds to me like You haven't got the Z datum dialed in correctly. The first layer should squeeze a little on the bed, so either lower it in Z or increase the extrusion rate on the skirt and first layer.

Helium Frog Website
March 23, 2013 11:29PM
AVRkire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK, thanks for the tip!
>
> Currently my first layer height is 100%, do you
> have a recommendation to try?

If i remember correctly the default " first layer height" for slicer is 200% when you first use it.Certainly worth trying.

Keep in mind that some of the changes will effect your whole model not just the first layer. When in trouble i tend to go for the excessive to prove the effect of the change then dial back in steps. And always save your slicer configs so you can go back if the last change is making things worse rather than better.
Good luck
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login