Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print directly on glass? or on PET? for ABS

Posted by AVRkire 
Print directly on glass? or on PET? for ABS
March 27, 2013 08:49PM
My kit came with PET sheet for my glass, but it is quickly getting messed up.

I am wondering if I need to buy more PET sheets (expensive) or if I can print right onto the glass?
Re: Print directly on glass? or on PET? for ABS
March 27, 2013 10:48PM
This is the one major drawback to printing with ABS. I've tried the so called "ABS juice" directly on glass, and I still use it, but the results are not quite as dramatic as other people claim. Kaptan tape works well, but trying to get the tape stuck down properly with no bubbles and no overlap is quite frustrating. The solution for PLA is quite simple - use diluted PVA glue. But I've not come across such an ideal solution for ABS.

I'll be interested to see what others respond with.
March 28, 2013 03:05AM
I use PVA for ABS. 1 part pva to ~ 2 or 3 parts water
March 28, 2013 06:02AM
Right onto the glass?
March 28, 2013 09:43AM
I never tried PVA for ABS. I'll give it a shot.

At least for PLA, I put the PVA directly on the glass. I always clean the old stuff off before I apply new in order to eliminate build-up. Nail polish remover cleans it up almost effortlessly.

I would guess directly on the glass is the way to go for ABS too. The only thing is the glass is hot enough for ABS to cause sizzling when liquid is applied. I would guess it best to leave the glass cool for a bit (or have two panes of glass the you use interchangeably.
March 29, 2013 07:51PM
I apply the PVA when its around 50-60C
April 13, 2013 06:57AM
jbernardis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kaptan tape works well, but trying to get
> the tape stuck down properly with no bubbles and
> no overlap is quite frustrating.

Try soapy water on both sides of the Kapton tape and a plastic squeegee. The moisture will evaporate (don't heat your bed beyond 100 C too quickly or you'll just get more bubbles) and the tape will stick at least as well as applying it dry. A credit card works as a squeegee.
April 17, 2013 04:25AM
Try mixing the PVA with 70% metholated spirits, it works much better than using water and dries quicker too.
April 17, 2013 05:02AM
I bought Kapton last week, got it yesterday, started printing last night.. Man, I'm hooked. But beware, make sure your printbed is at correct height. If you squash the layers too much in the first layer, you will end up with a print being stuck to the Kapton smiling smiley
April 19, 2013 11:01PM
I have recently discovered a good alternative to ABS Juice, that is 'Elmer's Washable School Glue' The stick form allows you to put down a nice even coating while the glass is cold.

It sticks, as good as, if not better than my best ABS Juice effort. I say 'best' because most of the time the ABS Juice mix is not consistent. I add more ABS, or more acetone in a very non-scientific way.

Part removal is almost automatic, if you allow the glass to cool to room temperature. Clean up is just water and a rag.

John
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login