Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ABS sticking too well to glass using ABS glue

Posted by shang 
ABS sticking too well to glass using ABS glue
March 28, 2013 02:13AM
Hi everyone,

I just gotten my printer (mendelmax 1.5) all nicely calibrated and am getting awesome prints. However, It is often the case now that I have my print sticking too well to the glass. I end up breaking my prints in the process of trying to get them off the glass.It is difficult to even get a razorblade under the print without damaging it severely. One time the glass stuck so well to the ABS that I separated a chunk of glass from the glass itself, right in the middle of the build platform. I have my heated bed set to 120C, and my print bed is borosilicate glass. I am printing ABS at 215C, where 210C would clog the extruder. I am spreading an ABS/acetone mixture on the glass prior to each print. Any tips and ideas to make the sticking worse? Printing directly on the glass has not worked for me without the glue.
Re: ABS sticking too well to glass using ABS glue
March 28, 2013 06:04AM
I am very new here, so take this for what its worth.

When my print sticks, it sticks! I cannot even think about taking it off until the bed is completely cooled off, or the same thing happens.

I notice that when the bed is cool, I can very carefully pry it in different areas until the whole thing pops off.

Have you let the bed completely cool?
March 28, 2013 12:30PM
Yes, I have let the bed completely cool. I can always start to pry in a corner but if its a part with a lot of surface area on the glass, the thing is impossible to get off. Right now I'm trying to see if I can lower the bed temperature to get it to stick less, but I am getting warping if I lower it too much.

Thanks.
March 28, 2013 03:39PM
Have you tried ABS glue that has a higher solution of acetone? In other words, less ABS dissolved in it?

If you wipe the bed with pure acetone the parts won't stick. But if you wipe them with the glue, they stick too well. I have yet to use ABS glue, but it would seem like you just need to find the right ratio of abs to acetone, and that currently yours is too high.
March 30, 2013 11:08AM
I have heard putting the whole lot in a freezer can help unstuck an exceptionally well stuck print.
April 15, 2013 03:04PM
I have the opposite problem, and therefor have decided to order me some Kapton tape a roll of 33m long and 100mm wide..

However, as Fl0yd points out, adding acetone will work making it weaker. Before I decided the ABS glue was 'not for me' I have been trying out different things, and I certainly discovered that a lower solution of ABS in the acetone makes the mixture spread out nicer, but also makes it a bit weaker. The same goes for too much ABS, the layer will become too thick by itself and losen up easier, especially when printing on a heatbed.

Tomorrow the Kapton tape will arrive, I honestly can't wait! I heard it works 'magic' on prints. The main reason why I decide to use Kapton is that because I print so much, I want to rule out the inconsistency of my ABS glue and also the glue leaves a mess each time I clean my printing bed. With the Kapton tape, getting rid of those static-charged flakes of ABS glue is history. It's terribly annoying having to shake off those sticky flakes all the time.

I'll let you know how it works out.
April 17, 2013 04:13AM
I have been using a mixture of PVA glue and 70% metholated spirits to make and adhesive for printing on.
The adhesive will spread very easily over a glass plate and will dry in a few minutes.
DON'T put too much on.
Print as normal and take glass off machine to allow to cool.
Print should lift off without too much effort, but if you have put too much adhesive on, just place the glass build plate in some water and allow to soak for about 20 minutes. The print will either have already fallen off or will be easy to remove.

Using this method I have had no losses, especially for printing a lot of small parts together, and no warping on big prints.
April 17, 2013 02:57PM
regpye

I removed my Kapton layer when it was geting bad and have tried ABS-juice direct on the glass but it doesn't work so well.

Are you mixing 70% alcohol with 30% PVA glue?
Are the glass matte?
April 17, 2013 05:16PM
Meanwhile I received my Kapton tape yesterday. I must admit.. It works so good.

ABS glue.. Goodbye!

The only thing with Kapton is that you need to get the print height exactly right, too high and it won't stick, curl up and your printhead WILL pry your print off at the third or fourth layer. Too low, and the first layer will stick so good to the tape you really need to pry it off but it's still much better than for example printing on Acrylic.

I have been experimenting on another plastic that hasn't been mentioned before in any of the threads of the forum, but I failed so I will not mention it here to save people from experimenting with it and ending up throwing it away anyway winking smiley

darneg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> regpye
>
> I removed my Kapton layer when it was geting bad
> and have tried ABS-juice direct on the glass but
> it doesn't work so well.
>
> Are you mixing 70% alcohol with 30% PVA glue?
> Are the glass matte?
April 19, 2013 03:28PM
Hi Ohmarinus, I'm having the issue where the ABS pulls off the bed due to warping after the first few layers. When you say the height needs to be exactly right do you mean calibrated correctly or settings in the slicing software?

I'm eager to get printing with ABS thumbs up

Thanks!
April 19, 2013 07:49PM
I mean the physical distance between the nozzle and the printing bed for the first layer is pretty critical when it comes to how well it sticks to the kapton tape.

Also noticed that when the print cools down on the bed after printing it can shrink a bit and free itself so you don't have to pry it off. When the print detaches prematurely there may be heating issues. I have minimalized the chance for a draft in the living room going past the machine to it doesn't interfere with the machine, by building an acrylic casing that I can put over the front of the machine. This helps a lot with warping and prints popping off of the printing bed.

3ddude Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Ohmarinus, I'm having the issue where the ABS
> pulls off the bed due to warping after the first
> few layers. When you say the height needs to be
> exactly right do you mean calibrated correctly or
> settings in the slicing software?
>
> I'm eager to get printing with ABS thumbs up
>
> Thanks!
April 20, 2013 03:28AM
Thanks. I have re-calibrated my Z height and was getting the same issue... until I turned cooling off! Schoolboy error after switching from PLA!!
December 12, 2013 01:05AM
I am very sorry to say this, I am having solutions of glue, because i am using Cyanoacrylate Adhesive Glue to stick the glass. I don't know how to stick the glasses without glues.
December 15, 2013 01:11PM
hairspray on glass has been working excellently for me for the past 9 months.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login