Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bird Feeder - Will these print?

Posted by psilva 
Bird Feeder - Will these print?
April 11, 2013 12:25PM
Hi,

I'm trying to make a sizable bird feeder. It has a Top and Bottom and then a number of middle sections of your choice.

Will they print as is?

Thanks.

Pedro
Attachments:
open | download - BFBase.stl (42.7 KB)
open | download - BFMiddleSection.stl (327.3 KB)
open | download - BFTop.stl (184 KB)
Re: Bird Feeder - Will these print?
April 13, 2013 06:42AM
Sure--I would not hesitate to print, as-is. Only the base will likely print well without support, however.
April 13, 2013 04:11PM
.. and is there any design change suggestions to improve? grinning smiley
April 15, 2013 04:36AM
No angles larger than 45° and you are good to go...

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
April 15, 2013 02:05PM
To be honest.. Why did you buy a 3D printer in the first place? Explore! And if it goes wrong, you learn more from it than if it would go right in the first try winking smiley
April 16, 2013 05:33AM
Hi,

Sorry but I have to disagree on that ... I believe the main purpose of the community forums is for people to be able to share their knowledge and help others to use their time on questions that no one knows how to answer. If we all use our time learning alone why bother come here ? grinning smiley

This is an example of what makes sense to me:

"No angles larger than 45° and you are good to go..."

Valid suggestion and saves me time ... sure I could find that the hard way or read it on reaprap.org ... nevertheless I appreciate the fact that Morrison got the trouble to read and answer ... and this is (at least to me) the spirit ...

Ohmarinus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To be honest.. Why did you buy a 3D printer in the
> first place? Explore! And if it goes wrong, you
> learn more from it than if it would go right in
> the first try winking smiley
April 16, 2013 07:31AM
Hi,

I put it through Netfabb and the base seems ok but middle and top seems to have some issues.
And as mentioned before you need support for the overhangs.

Cheers
Jan
April 16, 2013 02:16PM
No problem, but we have a different view. I would use the community after I encounter a problem. Not before I encounter a problem winking smiley

I like to first try by myself. But I am not saying you are doing anything wrong, just let us know how it worked out ok? smiling smiley
April 17, 2013 05:01AM
Actually, there seems to be a problem already ... from what Iceman said ... smiling smiley

Now it's time to investigate ... I see your point of view and I'm also a "hand's on the job guy" (I've built a MAME arcade cabinet from scratch knowing nothing about wood working, painting and all the related stuff - I'm an IT guy - and use some interesting ideas on the build/design process that were somehow innovative at the time, at least from the opinions expressed about the work from the other forum members winking smiley ), but I try to save my time and effort on things that really matter ... imagine that I tried to print this stuff ... It seems to me that I would only use the bottom part print as the other would not be good ... what could I possibly gain from that apart from waist of time and filament?

But with the hints provided, I can redesign the parts so that they may actually be good at first ... not saying they will, but that should minimize some issues ... winking smiley

Regards,

Pedro
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login