Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Calibration Cube - Budasnozzle configuration advise.

Posted by alex_mp 
Calibration Cube - Budasnozzle configuration advise.
April 16, 2013 12:35PM
Hi, I have a prusa with a Budasnozzle v1.2 hot end/0.5mm nozzle and a Wade extruder. I am using Slic3r, Marlin and printing 3mm PLA. The temperature of the nozzle is 185 degrees; I have the fan cooling down the filament right before it gets to the heating block.
The retraction of the extruder is 1mm at 30mm/s and I am using a hotbed at 80 degrees with a 5mm glass on top.

I have two problems. 1) There is some blobbing on the corners that after some layers gets accumulative and creates rising on the corners. 2) The first layer of PLA usually doesn’t stick well on the glass surface and sometimes warps on the corners after a few minutes.

Any help on speed, retraction or any other configuration value is greatly appreciated.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG-20130416-00154.jpg (171.7 KB)
open | download - IMG-20130416-00155.jpg (196.3 KB)
open | download - IMG-20130416-00156.jpg (167.8 KB)
Re: Calibration Cube - Budasnozzle configuration advise.
April 16, 2013 08:20PM
Try printing on Blue painters tape to get better first layer adhesion on PLA.
Looks like you have some z wobble with the un-even layer alignment.
Try a single wall cube on the painters tape and see what looks like. With PLA and a single wall print you need a fan blown on the part.
April 17, 2013 07:02PM
I used the blue tape and definitely improved the adherence. I also increased the retraction to 8mm and increased the filament diameter ~15% (2.90 to 2.94) until the bloobs disapeared on the 1 layer cube. I guess the diameter of my filament is not as constant as I thought.

Thank you for the help!
April 17, 2013 11:46PM
I find the thin walled calibration cube more useful for initially checking filament diameter and esteps. item one from this set [www.thingiverse.com]

after slicing check in the gcode the expected single wall width and then measure the actual wall width and adjust esteps / filament diameter till you are close, then the solid cube to fine tune the esteps / filament diameter. On loading up a new roll of filament I will always print the thinwalled object first as it prints quickly and easily and tells you straight waya if you are right.

GaZ
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login