Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing Speeds won't go up

Posted by Ohmarinus 
Printing Speeds won't go up
April 19, 2013 12:48PM
Hey everyone, I am using slic3r through Repetier on a Reprap Air 2 XL.

So I decided to start trying out higher print speeds and I have set everything 20mm/s faster. Now, the weird thing is that my printing actually doesn't speed up, but it slowed down. Most speeds in slic3r are around 55~75mm/s now and the machine looks like it's printing more at half the speed of that.

I have disabled any vibration settings so thats not what it can be.

I am using Marlin v1, can it be that Marlin has slow settings in its initial speed settings? I haven't gone into advanced setting yet, but I did set my steps/mm and calibrated most of the machine. Most problems I'm having now are down to the technical level of for example, not having nice straight Z-coupling so my prints end up having layersmash sometimes.

Really curious what factors define my print speeds, other than slic3r settings and firmware settings.
Re: Printing Speeds won't go up
April 20, 2013 05:52AM
Somehow, I have changed the max speeds in Marlin from 3000 to 9000 and now it goes muchos faster. Too fast I think, lowering the print settings in Slic3r has -LITTLE- effect.

I begin to wonder. do these speed settings even matter in slic3r...
April 20, 2013 09:30PM
If you have cooling enabled in Slic3r and the layer area is within the limits set in Slic3r, the printer will indeed be slowed. Any speed increases you make won't be seen.

Once you get to larger layers (in area, not thickness), you'll see the speed changes.

The tricky part is that as you increase the speed, the area that triggers cooling increases, too, since Slic3r uses time estimates to gauge speed on a layer.
April 21, 2013 06:26AM
Okay, seems worth to check out. I notice it's doing the outer perimeters first one too quick and second one too slow for my taste. Also, it draws inner circles far too quick.

I will play a bit with the speed setting in the firmware too because now my machine seems to go too fast some times, it does output nice prints, the details are nice, but it's now hard to control the speeds. It seems to be too fast on some areas, and to slow on others.
June 20, 2013 03:20PM
BrentB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you have cooling enabled in Slic3r and the
> layer area is within the limits set in Slic3r, the
> printer will indeed be slowed. Any speed increases
> you make won't be seen.

Holy smokes thank you! I've been calibrating my printer and printing a ton of small test objects but none of the speed settings seemed to be doing anything. You just reduced my print time for a tiny block from 40 minutes down to just over 5. 120 layers at a minimum 30 seconds each would be 60 minutes! Thank goodness I was hitting the lower speed limit. I'm sure I'll use this setting later but trying to just knock out a quick block was really killing me.
November 28, 2016 09:06PM
CapnBry
BrentB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you have cooling enabled in Slic3r and the
> layer area is within the limits set in Slic3r, the
> printer will indeed be slowed. Any speed increases
> you make won't be seen.

Holy smokes thank you! I've been calibrating my printer and printing a ton of small test objects but none of the speed settings seemed to be doing anything. You just reduced my print time for a tiny block from 40 minutes down to just over 5. 120 layers at a minimum 30 seconds each would be 60 minutes! Thank goodness I was hitting the lower speed limit. I'm sure I'll use this setting later but trying to just knock out a quick block was really killing me.

Bump. I'm a little late to the party, but this was killing me too. Especially since small objects were taking same time or less in Cura at half the layer height.

For the visual learners out there, the highlighted box is the one that will limit speed based on the Red lines when you watch your print in Repetier, 'Manual' tab.
"Enable Auto Cooling" should be unchecked should you wish to bypass the Governor.
[manual.slic3r.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2016 09:07PM by VonRansak.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login