Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Footprint comes off - print doesn't stay

Posted by KeRo 
Footprint comes off - print doesn't stay
April 24, 2013 08:27AM
Hi at all,

I am not able to print a 3d model. I use a Solidoodl 3gen...
The footprint of my model, even the brim comes off after a while...

Here you can see what I am talk about:
[www.vidup.de]

I work with Repetier and Slic3r. My model have a small footprint, so I added a 5mm brim, but the brim doesn't stay, it comes off...

I tried following temperatures:

- Extruder 195 °C + Bed 85°C
- Extruder 200 °C + Bed 85°C
- Extruder 195 °C + Bed 100°C

Also I adjust the z-height by the screw.

Hope you have some hints for me.

PS: Please check the clip on 3:15
Re: Footprint comes off - print doesn't stay
April 24, 2013 09:55AM
What kind of plastic are you using. The temps seem a bit high for PLA and a bit low for ABS.

I print PLA at 60 for the bed and 185 for the hotend. For ABS, I use 110/230.

If you are printing PLA, the 85.100 bed temps are a problem. I once printed PLA, but didn;t realize that I had sliced the model with the ABS profile. I adjusted the temps manually after printing started, but didn;t realize the gcode subsequently raised the bed temperature. The model detached after a few layers.

There are several strategies for helping with the sticking issue. For PLA, I use a dilute solution of PVA glue (white glue, elmer's glue - 4 parts water to 1 part glue) and let it dry before I print on it. For ABS there is not such a simple solution. I have had success printing directly onto kaptan tape, but getting the tape to lay down with no bubbles and no gaps or overlays is quite frustrating
April 24, 2013 10:19AM
Your first layer Z height is too high.
April 24, 2013 10:32AM
Hi thanks for writing,

I use ABS for printing, and took the settings from the solidoodle - "how-to". (HowTo)
They set the hotend to 200°C and the bed to 85°C.

I will try to use a higher temperature, if it doesn't work, I have to think about some tape or something like that.

@dirty Steve:
You are right, but I tried it with a lower height too, and it doesn't stick at all :-/
April 24, 2013 11:11AM
I'm running ABS at 230, 110 bed for first layer, then about 80 for rest of print, no problems with kapton, blue tape, or hairspray on glass, all work for me.
April 25, 2013 05:55PM
I also have this problem, Z-height is 'perfect' and then I put it just down a little more so it really sticks well, but still, warp and *jump*.

Maybe I should also try to print a little bit hotter. (ABS)
May 08, 2013 07:12AM
What kind of surface are you printing on ? ABS only sticks to kapton tape well in my experience. You don't need to get the tape on perfectly smooth, a few overlaps and bubbles will only result in a few dents in your bottom layer which doesn't matter.
I would also recommend you to get a piece of glass that fits on your heatpad. Then you can apply the tape to the glass first and put it on your heatpad later - makes things much easier. Also the glass will always be perfectly straight while the heatpad usually bends a little bit in one direction or an other.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login