Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Layers misaligned

Posted by utilitybee 
Layers misaligned
May 05, 2013 09:05PM
Any ideas on what would cause the layers to be off ever so slightly every layer equally.
Attachments:
open | download - photo.JPG (54 KB)
Re: Layers misaligned
May 05, 2013 09:28PM
Skipping steps. A little more current to the stepper motors is the simplest fix in most cases.
May 05, 2013 09:30PM
In which direction ? X?

Possibly a sign of missed steps. Common causes are, pots set too low on the stepper driver, skipping teeth due to belt tension (or a lack of), set screw not tight on the pulley or not on the flat part of the stepper shaft.
May 05, 2013 09:32PM
Thanks for the reply. That is what i thought, I am currently running 3 amps of current in to my steppers with 1/4 step. Should i up it to 1/8? Would that help?

Thanks again for the help.
May 05, 2013 09:34PM
I am using lead screws for movement. Let me point out that this is an old cnc machine that I converted into a printer.
May 05, 2013 09:42PM
Inreasing the microstepping won't help - the motors don't have enough torque to keep from deviating more than a full step from the commanded position. Microstepping can make the motors run smoother and, when lightly loaded, more accurate, but it doesn't provide more torque across full steps.

Not sure how best to fix this, maybe look at the specifications for the CNC machine you converted, you might be asking too much of it. Try lowering the feedrate to something within the machines original spec.
May 06, 2013 06:17PM
I am running it at a relatively low speed i think it is at 10mm/sec and i have x/y jerk to 0 and acceleration to 10mm/s ^2
May 07, 2013 07:27AM
If you are using 3A then I guess you are using your own stepper drivers. If you using standard Reprap firmware the pulses are probably too short and the setup time for the dir signal might be wrong,

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
May 07, 2013 10:41PM
nophead Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you are using 3A then I guess you are using
> your own stepper drivers. If you using standard
> Reprap firmware the pulses are probably too short
> and the setup time for the dir signal might be
> wrong,

This is my problem. Thanks so much nophead. My stepper drivers need a 10us pulse and my control board only puts out a 1.6us pulse. Now I have to figure out how to fix it. I can seem to find any documented on adding a duration to the pulse or adjusting it. Is there any firmware that I can load on my azteeg x3.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2013 10:50PM by utilitybee.
May 07, 2013 11:00PM
Is it possible to use a mono-stable 555 timer ic circuit to extend the pulse with hardware if software is not possible?
May 08, 2013 12:23PM
utilitybee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it possible to use a mono-stable 555 timer ic
> circuit to extend the pulse with hardware if
> software is not possible?

The later Repetier Firmwares have a pulse delay option in the firmware, I haven't looked at recent Marlin releases.

My blog [3dprinterhell.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login