Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Correct temp for ABS?

Posted by AVRkire 
Correct temp for ABS?
May 09, 2013 06:55AM
I had my printer working really well, than I broke my glass, and modified a bunch of things inculding my heat bed and some other things.

Now I have it back together, and I am having a lot of trouble sticking to the bed.

I have all my settings the same, I am using PET tape on my glass, I know I am perfectly level.

I also use ABS glue on the PET tape.

The thing that is weird is it is sticking some times, and not others, and in the same places. For example, I printed this am, and in the back left corner it peeled up on one print, and eventually started peeling up in other areas as well, but the back left stayed perfect. The next print was the exact opposite, where the corner that stuck, came up, and vice versa.

I have lowering the z to really push to the bed, same thing, I have raised the temp of the bed, no help.

The only thing I am noticing different now for some reason is when I heat my extruder up to 200, I am getting way more filament coming out without extruding.

In the past I would get maybe 3 mm over say a minute.

Now, it seems like I am getting 10-15mm over the same minute.

Could this mean my temp is too high?

Could this cause a sticking problem?

Really out of possibilities so any help would be appreciated.
Re: Correct temp for ABS?
May 09, 2013 11:19AM
200 seems a bit low to me, I'm printing ABS at 230 and it sticks pretty well (using kapton tape on 110°C heatpad with no glue)
May 09, 2013 11:30AM
tmahring Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 200 seems a bit low to me, I'm printing ABS at 230
> and it sticks pretty well (using kapton tape on
> 110°C heatpad with no glue)

Thanks, does the ABS flow out the nozzle pretty freely at that temp even without being extruded?

My concern is that these thermsitors are not all that reliable, and mine registering 210 could be 250, or vice versa.

My main concern is could heating too high, or not heating high enough, cause a sticking to the bed issue.

I also should have mentioned, I am using a Buda w/ .35 nozzle
May 09, 2013 03:39PM
The whole thing with printing temperatures is, that your machine has to be calibrated for the temp to really say something. I print ABS at 242 degrees celsius, but I know in reality it's colder. It's just that the vendor hasn't been able to give me a useful thermistor table and so I just had to test and see when the ABS became fluid enough to print.

I wonder how you continue with this. Good luck just try it out and you will find out by yourself. Just don't print too hot, your hotend might damage if it is not capable to print hotter than 240 degrees like the first budaschnozzle wasn't resistant to higher temperatures.
May 09, 2013 11:43PM
If you're using PVA, then you don't really need PET tape on the glass. Also, have you checked the nozzle height in all 4 corners of the bed with a piece of copy paper?
I reckon if you were getting only 3mm of "ooze" over one minute then that suggests the hot end is not quite up to temp.
May 10, 2013 11:11AM
Thanks guys.

couple of things.

I mixed up some new ABS glue, but used a much higher ratio of ABS, and now I am sticking properly at the same temps.

Next time my PET tape wears out, I am going to try the PVA to see if I can use that instead of the Glass, or I suppose I could just flip my glass over and try that.

I am curious to try it.

Thanks for the help, this community is really amazing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login