Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Print curling with new plastic..?

Posted by Phizinza 
Print curling with new plastic..?
May 12, 2013 07:28AM
I've got some new plastic, ABS, and it doesn't seem to be doing over hang well. It curls up and ends up looking like this. I had this issue with the last ABS but I solved it with a fan and duct. I've tried fan, even on full, and the picture is the end result. Any suggestions?
Attachments:
open | download - img20130512_204808.jpg (157.1 KB)
Re: Print curling with new plastic..?
May 12, 2013 07:55AM
Do you have a better picture? Looking top-down obviously doesn't show well how we should see it from the sides, where the curling is best visible?

I am also having trouble with darker ABS filament. I threw it away and am now printing with lighter colors again. White, yellow, etc. Maybe more expensive ABS will be good, but the cheap dark colors are in my experience very bad.
May 12, 2013 07:26PM
With me I only have photos from that angle, I'll try and get a photo tonight if I remember.
May 13, 2013 03:22PM
I had the same problem with my new hotend, I started printing a bit cooler and that helped significantly for me. I am now trying new filament too that I bought today, it feels like it handles better in terms of curling/warping, but is worse in bridging.

The new filament feels 'softer' or bendier when I bend it and after printing it seems harder than the previous filament I am using. Did you notice any of the differences in your filament? Maybe that can be of importance also.
May 13, 2013 08:57PM
I Have dropped the temp for this new filament significantly lower than the last filament, but perhaps it can go lower. It does bleed out the hot end more than the last batch. Here is a better photo. Left is up the way it printed, right is up side down.

I Think it is a combo of problems related to too much jerk, too hot and to high over hang on this model. But i can't see am effective way of supporting it. Might have to change the model...
Attachments:
open | download - img20130514_101913.jpg (29.6 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login