Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

At a loss

Posted by AVRkire 
At a loss
May 14, 2013 09:35AM
So my printer has been running very well lately on all prints.

I have my e calibration perfectly, I double checked it with 30 and 50mm of extrusion and measured it perfectly.

I have double checked my measurements of my filament, and it is a very consistent and accurate 2.9 - 2.92

Other prints before and after that were smaller were working perfectly, very accurate.

So when I tried to do this larger one 150mm x 175mm, slicing in slic3r 0.99, running at low speed, I noticed I am extruding waaay too much filament.

The first time I ran it I used a 1 for the extrusion multiplier, as my wall thickness test was fine for the 1 in this field.

I noticed a crazy amount of extra filament on this print, stopped it half way through the second layer.

I changed to 0,9 in filament extrusion and re-sliced and printed.

Here are some pics of the second effort.

As mentioned, I ran another print afterwords, much smaller, about 30mm x 75mm x 50mm height, and it worked perfectly.

Some other settings: 0.35mm nozzle (buda 1.3) ABS, 0.3 layer height.

Here are some pics, at a complete loss, any ideas on where to look I would greatly appreciate it:

[dl.dropboxusercontent.com]

Re: At a loss
May 14, 2013 09:56AM
Hi,

To me it looks like you are having some ozing issues. When it runs the long runs there is a lot of pressure built up so when you get to the end and the speed slows down/ direction changes there is a lot of built up pressure. This results in extra plastic being deposited as it starts on a new long stretch. I am looking at the first picture. In the corners where the diagonal moves are rather small it looks ok but as you get towards the middle and past the middle the diagonal moves are at max and this is where the problems is.

Try to slow down the printing speed and it should get better.

When you do smaller objects this is not an issue as the extruder don't extrude continuosly for long times, such as when going diagonally across the entire bed, so the pressure build up is minute compared to when you do this large print.

Regards
Jan
May 14, 2013 10:44AM
Jan,

Thanks much!

This makes a lot of sense.

I actually ran this very slow, or at least I think it was very slow:

Perimeters: 40
small perim: 25
extern perim:25
infill: 60
solid infill: 50
top solid infill: 40

First level speed 50%

Would you recommend even slower than this?

Also, could lowering the temp help here?
May 14, 2013 11:37AM
I would think the problem is your bed is warped and the edges are being squished a little while the center is not being pushed down enough. Try putting a straight edge across it (at temperature) and see if the middle is higher or lower then the sides. It could also be the temperature is not even across the glass.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
May 14, 2013 01:32PM
Sublime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would think the problem is your bed is warped
> and the edges are being squished a little while
> the center is not being pushed down enough. Try
> putting a straight edge across it (at temperature)
> and see if the middle is higher or lower then the
> sides. It could also be the temperature is not
> even across the glass.

Thanks for the response. I am going to check this tonight when I get home, but I am pretty sure that the bed is perfectly flat. I say this for two reasons.

First, when I zero/level the bed, I check it not only in the 4 corners, but I also manually run accross the X and up and down the Y axis at zero with a sheet of paper under the nozzle, all while the bed is at 100 degrees (temp I print at) and I have never noticed anything at all other than perfectly level.

Second, I have run prints with multiple smaller objects on the bed, taking up much of the same amount of space, but just not one single object like this, and that went very well also.

I will definitely try what you mention though, if nothing else to rule it out. Thanks.
May 14, 2013 06:22PM
hard to tell in pics but is it lifting off the bed? the extra plastic on edges look like mine when a corner doesnt stick to bed
May 14, 2013 08:50PM
So I just heated up my bed to print temp and checked my bed in all directions with a straight edge. Everything is perfectly flat.

Print stuck fine, I took pics about an hour after I stopped the print, and it had already started pealing, but stuck great for the print.

Really at a loss here.
May 14, 2013 10:18PM
Why did you stop it? I have had large prints with VERY funky first layers come out completely usable in the end. As you said this is the machines first large print. Why not let her go and see what happens?
May 15, 2013 06:39AM
foshon Wrote:
> Why did you stop it? I have had large prints with
> VERY funky first layers come out completely usable
> in the end. As you said this is the machines first
> large print. Why not let her go and see what
> happens?

I stopped because the nozzle was scraping so hard against the blobs that it was very loud, and the whole thing was visibly shaking, I was really concerned about damaging the nozzle, or I would have let it go.

I saw pretty much right away that there was way to much plastic coming out, but I wanted to see if I could complete it anyway, but once the second layer started I thought it best to kill the job.
May 15, 2013 11:12AM
So now I am REALLY confused.

This am I decided to try a few prints, using slic3r again, same settings I have been using successfully PRIOR to trying the big print.

These were much smaller prints, that I have printed very successfully.

THey all had way too much plastic extruded, much like the big print that started this thread, so it was not related to the size of the thread.

I double checked my settings, and they are all the same as I have used successfully in the very recent past.

So, now I am trying to understand why no change to the printer, no change to the firmware, same slicer, same printer interface, why all the sudden the change.

The only thing I can think of is this is a temperature issue, but I am not sure.

Other thing I am looking at is my first layer width extrusion is set to 200%, always was, but I am wondering if I need to lower this.

Anyway, if anyone else has any suggestions, I would appreciate hearing them. I will continue to try to tweak things and get this figured out on my own, but any recommnedations would be helpful.

Thx.
May 15, 2013 11:49AM
The only way you can tell if it is truly over extruding is to do a single wall test part (or 100% infill cube and let it go for a lot of layers).

Also if you have not let it go past the first layer it could be a homing issue.
Is it your carriage has been overheated and the hotend is now lower and you need to reset home?
Is it the homing switch has moved and you need to reset home?

Do you have an LCD and encoder that someone could have played with and turned up your flow?

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
May 15, 2013 12:47PM
Sublime Wrote:
> The only way you can tell if it is truly over
> extruding is to do a single wall test part (or
> 100% infill cube and let it go for a lot of
> layers).
>
> Also if you have not let it go past the first
> layer it could be a homing issue.
> Is it your carriage has been overheated and the
> hotend is now lower and you need to reset home?
> Is it the homing switch has moved and you need to
> reset home?
>
> Do you have an LCD and encoder that someone could
> have played with and turned up your flow?

Sublime, thanks for the suggestions.

I will try a single wall test print tonight.

As far as the home issue, I am not sure I understand what you are asking here.

Are you asking if my z height is set properly?
May 15, 2013 04:31PM
AVRkire Wrote:
> Sublime Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The only way you can tell if it is truly over
> > extruding is to do a single wall test part (or
> > 100% infill cube and let it go for a lot of
> > layers).
> >
> > Also if you have not let it go past the first
> > layer it could be a homing issue.
> > Is it your carriage has been overheated and the
> > hotend is now lower and you need to reset home?
>
> > Is it the homing switch has moved and you need
> to
> > reset home?
> >
> > Do you have an LCD and encoder that someone
> could
> > have played with and turned up your flow?
>
> Sublime, thanks for the suggestions.
>
> I will try a single wall test print tonight.
>
> As far as the home issue, I am not sure I
> understand what you are asking here.
>
> Are you asking if my z height is set properly?

Yes basically. I am just wondering if something has moved or warped that is resulting in your first layer height being incorrect all of a sudden.

May 15, 2013 09:39PM
So I checked my z axis, it's still right on the money, 1 sheet of paper off the bed everywhere.

I ran a single wall calibration test. The STL says 0.5mm, however the gcode from slic3r is showing:

perimeters extrusion width = 0.37mm
; infill extrusion width = 0.37mm
; solid infill extrusion width = 0.37mm
; top infill extrusion width = 0.37mm
; support material extrusion width = 0.37mm
; first layer extrusion width = 0.60mm

My walls are measuring 0.49mm, so I am not sure if they should be 0.5mm or actually 0.37mm.

Can anyone help me out with this?
May 15, 2013 09:49PM
Have you checked your filament width?

I've had a roll of filament change average width over the length of the roll and others melt temp.

Komb'
Glankonian Protoforms
May 15, 2013 10:49PM
I would never recommend using a file where the wall thickness is modelled in. Instead take a solid cube and turn off all solid layers, turn off all infill and set the perimeters to 1. Then print the box and it will only print a single wall which you can measure.

May 16, 2013 09:27PM
Komb, yes, I have verified my filament width several times, it's very consistent at 2.91-2.92

Sublime, thanks, but I'm being dense and do not quite follow you when you say set perimeters to 1. Is that 1mm or 100%?

Thanks!
May 16, 2013 10:14PM
AVRkire Wrote:
> Sublime, thanks, but I'm being dense and do not
> quite follow you when you say set perimeters to 1.
> Is that 1mm or 100%?
>
> Thanks!

No one single perimeter. As in just one loop regardless of its thickness. Then when you open the gcode file and see what width has been specified for a single extrusion you can compare it with the printed single wall thickness. I do not use Slic3r any longer so I can not tell you the name it uses but I believe almost all slicer call them either loops or perimeters.

May 17, 2013 10:15PM
Sublime, Thanks for your help.

I tried switching over to KSS and it seems to be much, much better. I am not quite sure why, I probably have a setting or something off, but I am not getting the extra extrusion in KSS. I kind of like it a bit better than slic3r as well.

Thanks again for working with me on this, much appreciated.
May 17, 2013 10:21PM
When I switched I was amazed that it improved it so much. I had always thought my issues were hardware and to find out it was software was both satisfying and annoying.

May 22, 2013 02:51PM
Sublime Wrote:
> When I switched I was amazed that it improved it
> so much. I had always thought my issues were
> hardware and to find out it was software was both
> satisfying and annoying.

Yup, I am shocked. Been using KSS for about a week now, and for the MOST part, huge difference in print reliability.

I have had a few very weird issues with it, which interestingly enough slic3r worked fine on the same prints, but for the most part I am very happy with KSS and will use it as my first choice by far, probably going to buy the pro version
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login